Kiters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kilroy63

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
If you love Bonaire diving and snorkeling please contact Stinapa
info@stinapa.org
Whatsapp 777-8444
Email and/or WhatsApp Stinapa before this gets any more consideration

Consideration is being given to allow the kiters from Tori’s Reef to Belnem. Raming was unable to comment as consideration is ongoing.

This would mean goodbye to 11 marked dive sites
The lake
Hilma Hooker
Angel city
Alice in wonderland
Aquarius
Larry’s lair
Jeannie’s glory
Salt pier
Salt city
Invisibles
Tori’s

If you love Bonaire diving and snorkeling please contact Stinapa
info@stinapa.org
Whatsapp 777-8444
Email and/or WhatsApp Stinapa before this gets any more consideration

Consideration is being given to allow the kiters from Tori’s Reef to Belnem. Raming was unable to comment as consideration is ongoing.

This would mean goodbye to 11 marked dive sites
The lake
Hilma Hooker
Angel city
Alice in wonderland
Aquarius
Larry’s lair
Jeannie’s glory
Salt pier
Salt city
Invisibles
Tori’s
What makes you say the dive sites would go away? Would this be an official action or a response to fear of being struck by a boarder.

Kiters can already go anywhere in the blue water. This would allow them in the shallows effectively stopping any snorkeling or diving. Where they are now Atlantis used to be a dive site. Nobody dives there unless the wind is dead and kiters aren’t out.

Kiters can already go anywhere in the blue water. This would allow them in the shallows effectively stopping any snorkeling or diving. Where they are now Atlantis used to be a dive site. Nobody dives there unless the wind is dead and kiters aren’t out.
Well divers and snorkelers could just start dragging some sort of board fouling counter measures. Or perhaps the park officials could install some sort of floating barrier at the blue boundary at marked sites.

Better just to nip it in the bud

Better just to nip it in the bud
So only divers and snorkelers should enjoy the coastline. All skill levels from beginner to expert should opened in to same area? Sounds like a recipe for disaster. If we cannot learn to coexist as ocean enthusiasts there is truly no hope for humanity as a whole. Yeah, a little over the top but not untrue.

Kiters are welcome to enjoy the ocean, they simply need an entry and egress spot as the rest of the time they are to be in the blue. They do not need to close 4k of coast and 11 dive sites for what on a good day is a couple of dozen people. Those 11 sites will see a thousand divers/snorkelers in a day. Do the tourist dollar math.

Why not rotate the access points, pick maybe four or six sites with sufficient parking and staging. Put them on an even/odd schedule for KB/SD-S activity.

I tried kite boarding once. I was solely focused on the kite and balance. Quite honestly, I would not have been vigilant in spotting SMB's when I was focused on staying upright. It was not enjoyable and I felt completely reckless. Not my cup of tea. It is sad to see Atlantis on the list. I love that site due to the rich marine life and gentle entrance. It seems that placing intermittent buoys marking water depths of hypothetical >100 feet where the kiteboarders may glide may be a balanced solution. Any kiteboarders on the shallow side of buoy would hopefully be fined. As @kilroy63 stated, do the math. The number of divers, swimmers, and snorkelers far outweighs the kiteboarders. It is sad to see the majority being placed in dangerous situations.

Couple of thoughts:

1. I cant imagine large dive ops not going crazy if there was a hint of the Hilma Hooker being shut down and the possibility of a kite surfer cutting between the mooring buoys and shore - are they engaged? It is for them a signature boat dive.
2. Salt Pier would be interesting to see several folks hanging from their chutes off the docks. Typically when you are learning to kitesurf directional control isnt the greatest.

I dont remember Atlantis being a problem to dive - has it gotten worse?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom