Knee pads for a TLS 350?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

globaldiver

Contributor
Reaction score
Los Angeles/California, (originally from Stockholm
I am planning to order a new dry suit. It will either be a TLS 350 custom cut, or a custom 5th D 1000. I have not yet fully decided which way to go.

My question is however regarding the TLS 350:
When choosing knee pads for this suit, will the kevlar pads restrict mobility, or are they the best ones to use?

The 5th D suit apparently already has the knee pads attached.

Anders

My TLS-350 doesn't have the add-on knee pads. I've got several hundred dives on the suit, including beach dives and boat dives here in CA where you come out on your knees on the swim step to remove your fins before climbing the ladder back into the boat. The TLS material is incredibly tough and I have had no regrets about not getting the knee pads. IMHO the Kevlar knee pads are optional.

With DUI custom suits, do you get your choice of knee pads included in the package, or is that only for the "signature series"? I agree with Jlyle in that they're an unnecessary expense if they're not included in your package, the material on the TLS350 is pretty tough. However, if you must have them, I don't think you can go wrong with either the Kevlar or the CF200 material (crushed neoprene). People have different opinions on both, I'm sure we can have a pretty long thread on just that debate.
Good luck with your choice and enjoy your drysuit. I love my TLS350, really light, dries super fast.

Mel
PADI Rescue Diver

Heard that kevlar pads are fairly stiff and that the CF200 is plenty tough and is more flexible.

My signature series TLS350 has kevlar kneepads.

I wanted them because I considered the knees to be a potential wear area, and they were included.

PnL:
Heard that kevlar pads are fairly stiff and that the CF200 is plenty tough and is more flexible.

I dont find this true. I was actually surprised at how flexible the kevlar is. Yeah, the CF-200 material is cheaper, its very flexible because its neoprene...

But, kevlar is kevlar. Its tough. It takes a beating. It works well to save the drysuit. I used to do alot of shore dives, where we would come out crawling on rocks. I was happy to have the kevlar. If you are doing mostly boat dives, then it doesnt matter too much.

LUBOLD8431:
I dont find this true. I was actually surprised at how flexible the kevlar is. Yeah, the CF-200 material is cheaper, its very flexible because its neoprene...

But, kevlar is kevlar. Its tough. It takes a beating. It works well to save the drysuit. I used to do alot of shore dives, where we would come out crawling on rocks. I was happy to have the kevlar. If you are doing mostly boat dives, then it doesnt matter too much.

Do you think there is a durability difference between the kevlar and CF200 pad material (in real world diving)? When we ordered our suits we were told that some customers complained that the kevlar was less flexible and so we went with the CF200. With all the posts regarding the durability of the CF200 suits out there we didn't think we could lose either way :)

I'm presuming that both will do an admirable job of protecting the suit in that area.

Is there a price difference between the CF & Kevlar? Flexibility is not much of an issue in a drysuit. Yes, the Kevlar knee pads may be stiff, but that won't interfer with your movement in the suit. One other factor to consider, if you go this route is that the CF takes a long time to dry. Just my $0.02

globaldiver:
My question is however regarding the TLS 350:
When choosing knee pads for this suit, will the kevlar pads restrict mobility, or are they the best ones to use?
I've got the Kevlar kneepads on my TLS350SS and haven't had any problem with them at all. They make the knees bulkier (not really what I would call stiffer) than just trilam but certainly do not pose any kind of flexibility problem. With the wrecks around here covered in zebra mussels (very sharp little suckers) I appreciate the idea of having a little extra protection. Most of my diving is in cold water so the added bulk of the underwear is more of a flexibility problem than the Kevlar.

A buddy of mine used carbon fiber tank protectors that are used on motorcycles to make some completly bomb proof knee pads for little money. The carbon fiber is articulated so they bend and flex with no restriction. Plus they look cool as hell.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom