Knife point styles - relative benefits

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Except, perhaps, for the spearos, there is no realistic reason a diver would prefer a sharp tip over a blunt one.

It's not uncommon for solutions that seem acceptable in one situation to turn out to be disastrous in another and before adopting any piece of gear it should be considered from as many perspectives as possible. Unfortunately, it's hard to see past ones own training and experience, which is why I have a shelf full of "well, it seemed like a good idea at the time" junk that I've retired over the years, including a BFK that would make Mike Nelson envious.

What might be tolerable or work acceptably well for a single tank recreational wetsuit diver can be a mess waiting to happen in other circumstances. Imagine your valves are tangled in something. The water is cold and you're in a drysuit with dry gloves, where a puncture is both easier and far more serious. You're carrying a couple of deco bottles and an argon bottle, all of which tend to get in your way and to reduce your maneuverability and flexibility. Add a light strapped to your hand and a battery cannister on your hip and now you've got hoses and cables running all over the place. Let's really pile it on: you're also deep inside a wreck with no ambient light and the silt has been stirred up so badly that you can barely see your hand in front of your face. Perhaps in this situation a point makes sense - easier to stab yourself and put an end to your misery - but otherwise the risk/reward ratio says that a point on your knife is more trouble than it's worth.

Questions are good, as is examing answers, but honest injun, you don't want a point on your knife. You need a slashing and prying tool and the less dangerous you can make it, the better.

Including this one.

reefraff:
Except, perhaps, for the spearos, there is no realistic reason a diver would prefer a sharp tip over a blunt one.

And this one.

There are lots of reasons that a diver might want a sharp point on a knife. I prefer a sharp point on my knife, which is a Wenoka titanium tanto pattern.

Most of the expamples given as to why a sharp point is so dangerous it should never be taken underwater are actually good examples of why SHEARS should also be carried.

Many years ago there was a really excellent reason to have a blunt point knife. It made a much better tool for prying up abolone. Most states now prohibit using a knife for this and require the use of an abolone iron to minimize risk of injuring an undersize ab.

Then again, it can be fun to break out a "real knife" now and then. :D

pipedope:
There are lots of reasons that a diver might want a sharp point on a knife.
Please expound: what are those reasons?

I don't see where anyone has given much of a reason (emulating James Bond doesn't count) why a sharp tip is better than a blunt one and I don't understand what it is that needs ventilating that wouldn't be better dealt with by being slashed instead of stabbed.
  • Killing an attacking GDGW? Would you be better off slashing a foot long gash in his snout or poking a 2 inch hole? If he's going to take a bite out of me, I want as big a bite out of him as I can get.
  • Opening up a BC? There are about a dozen things I'd try before I'd intentionally hole my BC for any reason and, even then, I'd think that a slash would work faster and better. In any event, not a realistic solution to any forseeable problem.
  • Substitute reef hook? I don't see that the type of point has any bearing on its effectiveness.
  • Killing a speared fish? I concede the point, if you'll forgive the pun.
  • Impressing the ladies? Score another one for the BFK. Yeah, I know - another bad pun.

Quote-Killing an attacking GDGW? Would you be better off slashing a foot long gash in his snout or poking a 2 inch hole? If he's going to take a bite out of me, I want as big a bite out of him as I can get. - endquote

My plan is to slash my buddy, and swim away as fast as possible.

Anybody want to go diving?

reefraff:
Please expound: what are those reasons?

I don't see where anyone has given much of a reason (emulating James Bond doesn't count) why a sharp tip is better than a blunt one and I don't understand what it is that needs ventilating that wouldn't be better dealt with by being slashed instead of stabbed.
  • Killing an attacking GDGW? Would you be better off slashing a foot long gash in his snout or poking a 2 inch hole? If he's going to take a bite out of me, I want as big a bite out of him as I can get.

Have you ever tried to cut shark skin? You will NOT slash it from the outside in! The only hope is to penetrate it and cut from the inside out.

reefraff:
  • Opening up a BC? There are about a dozen things I'd try before I'd intentionally hole my BC for any reason and, even then, I'd think that a slash would work faster and better. In any event, not a realistic solution to any forseeable problem.

A single puncture allows some form of continued buoyancy control during the ascent by body positioning.

reefraff:
  • Substitute reef hook? I don't see that the type of point has any bearing on its effectiveness.

Sometime there is a one knife current, other times it's a two knife current. Over that it's time to stay in the boat. Points will give better penetration in a soft bottom, and find (or make) a hold in a hardish bottom.

reefraff:
  • Killing a speared fish? I concede the point, if you'll forgive the pun.

Actually this is one place where it's possible with either end style, but a drop point sharpened a bit down the back makes it easier to get through the meat just aft of the gills.

reefraff:
  • Impressing the ladies? Score another one for the BFK. Yeah, I know - another bad pun.

Nothing like a BFK for cutting up a watermellon for the SI :wink:

FT

FredT:
Nothing like a BFK for cutting up a watermellon for the SI :wink:

Now I have a good reason for keeping my Blackie Collins autographed machete. :wink:

Christian

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom