Knife required???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mr. Nice Guy

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
So why would I need a knife? This was posted for a Nitrox Padi Course.

Required Equipment and Materials: Students are responsible for providing a complete SCUBA equipment package including mask, fins, snorkel, boots, appropriate exposure protection, (students wishing to use dry suits must show proof of dry suit certification or they may elect to use Northeast Scuba's dry suit option for the course), hood, mitts or gloves, BCD with LPI , regulator with octopus or alternate air source (not a "Spare air"), SPG, depth gauge, timer or watch, compass, weight system, two tanks, knife, whistle, RDP and log book. Note: some of the very basic equipment items may be available for rental, however items such as masks, fins, snorkels, timers, knives, and whistles must be purchased.

You may find that a pair of stainless steel EMT shears (7" or 7.5" size) is a more practical tool. You should always carry a knife or shears on every dive where there is a risk of entanglement - and thanks to non-biodegradable monofilament fishing line, this is almost everywhere outside of a swimming pool.

some sort of cutting tool is important .fishing line is pretty nasty.and everywhere .
joens

I always dive with at least 2 knives. One on the inside of my left leg and the other on my guage hose. I once got so tangled up in fishing line in a lake that I couldn't get to the knife on my leg. I was able to get the one on my guage hose and cut myself out so now I never dive without them.

Scott

Think of it this way...If you need it and you don't have it, you just might be in for a bad day.

Doesn't cost you that much to carry.

But why they REQUIRE it?:confused:

Jeff

you can stab your buddy :)

leadweight once bubbled...
you can stab your buddy :)

Ahh yes...I missed that when JJ mentioned it on pg 165...DIR - Fundamentals of better Diving

If you had shears you could cut up the required RDP and have something to play with while diving.

MD

Mr. Nice Guy once bubbled...
So why would I need a knife? This was posted for a Nitrox Padi Course.

Required Equipment and Materials: Students are responsible for providing a complete SCUBA equipment package including mask, fins, snorkel, boots, appropriate exposure protection, (students wishing to use dry suits must show proof of dry suit certification or they may elect to use Northeast Scuba's dry suit option for the course), hood, mitts or gloves, BCD with LPI , regulator with octopus or alternate air source (not a "Spare air"), SPG, depth gauge, timer or watch, compass, weight system, two tanks, knife, whistle, RDP and log book. Note: some of the very basic equipment items may be available for rental, however items such as masks, fins, snorkels, timers, knives, and whistles must be purchased.

Unless you only dive in your bathtub the chance of entanglement is always present. Sometimes it seems that 1/2 of the fishing equipment ever sold is on the bottom of the ocean. I once saw a diver (not my buddy) get so wrapped up in a fishing line that he couldn't operate his equipment. We happened to be diving at about 40m on a effectively bottomless wall when this happened and he started to sink. I'll spare you the details of the heroic rescue :wink: but it's a good example. You'd think that a wall is the last place you'd need a knife but even there you're not safe from old fishing line.

R..

I def agree with the back up theory. I have a small blunt nose knife that attaches to the front of my BC. I also carry a folding knife in my pocket. The folding knife is tied to a retainer in the pocket so that if i used it...dropped it...i could just pull it back to me with the cord. being nicely tucked away in the pocket it never hangs, get caught on anything, falls out of a scabbard and is always there.

Back
Top Bottom