Knife Size

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sub_diving_mason

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Which do you prefer, small BC / hosemount, or larger ones with leg wraps?

I thought I was getting a good deal when I found a $50 titanium knife / sheath / leg wrap. Then I wore it, it seems too big and I actually almost lost it on my 3rd dive with it because the release mechanism hit the tag line when coming back to the boat.

Just interested to see what everyone's thoughts are.

I've tried different knives, hosemount, bc mounted, and leg... I've found that the easiest for me is if the knife is mounted on my BCD. Not only is it easier, but it is practicle. If your hose or leg is tangled on something, you can still get to your BC with your arm and cut yourself loose. A knife mounted on your BCD is the way to go.

I have a small titanium dive knife that I always wear on the waist belt of my harness. I own a biga** XS Scuba knife that, frankly, I never use. It's too long to wear comfortably on my lower leg. When I'm in an area that prohibits divers from carrying knives, I take EMT shears.

I carry a small blunt tip knife attached to my BC and a pair of EMT shears. I could never imagine a situation where I would need a big honkin pointy leg knife but I see people with them all of the time.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom