Knock on head and laceration

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LI Diver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Ok docs, I got hit on my head by a tool box weighing about 20lbs and dropped from 18 feet. It knocked me down but I did not lose conciousness.I had to have 7 staples in my scalp. Cat scan showed negative and I feel fine. This happened wednsday and I want to dive sunday. What do you guy's think?

I'd probably get heavily flamed by a doctor who knows better if I said that I'd go for it. So, I'll say I'd probably wait until the staples are removed. You could bang it again on the boat or where ever you're diving and bust it open again. And head cuts bleed a lot as you probably saw.

Twenty pounds hits you on the head after falling 18 feet through the air??? :11: And you're vertical and posting on SB? :11:

The gods are obviously smiling with there arms around your shoulders so you might as well go diving!

I'm no doc, nor did I sleep at a Holiday Inn Express, I agree wait till the staples are out. I would be concerned with getting something in there to cause an infection. Place a call to your doc and ask.

It sounds like a good chance to get an infection to me, Id call my regular doc and ask him I think.
Altho they use saltwater to clean up cuts, Its a bit cleaner saltwater than the one we dive in I think..

Thanks guy's, I cked the bosch website and the 1" hammer drill alone weighs 8lbs, plus the box, spare drill bits,depth guage etc. I'm thinking close to 20.I know the height because I'm building stairs for the bulding. It's 24' from the first floor to the third floor minus my height = just over 18 feet. Yeh I'm lucky to be here.
I was thinking about the infection part as well.

Infection shouldn't be a problem with the staples after that much time. We generally only leave staples in for seven days.

Although I cannot give specific medical advice to any individual over the internet, in general, if someone has a blow to the head, has no loss of consciousness, no neurologic abnormalities (confusion, perserveration, amnesia), no persistent symptoms like headache or nausea and vomiting, I would consider them go to go for any and all normal activities.

Back
Top Bottom