Ko Tao or Phi Phi

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ChristyBug

Registered
Reaction score
Having been to Thailand last year I'm still amazed by the underwater beauty I've seen. I have no choice but to return and this time I'm dragging a friend of mine along. She still needs to learn how to dive and everwhere I read that Ko Tao is the plae to go, but the word on the quality of diving rages from poor and boring to excellent and plenty of whaleshark sitings). Last year I dove the Andaman coast (Hin Muang, Hin Duang, Similans, Surins etc), where I was spoiled with gorgious diving and great vis.

I've never been at the Golf Coast and so I don't know what to expect. I originally thought we'd go to Phi Phi to start of so she could get her open water while I dove some local sites. I was a little worried that the diving of of Ko Tao and the island itself might no entail enough to keep me satisfied for about 5 days.

Can anybody tell me what would be the better option for the both of us (keeping the season in mind)?

Well, what time of the year are you coming over? Nov-March, Phi Phi is definitely the way to go. April is debatable, diving is still going to be better around Phi Phi but whale shark season start around Koh Tao at that time and viz is generally best for Koh Tao around that time as well. After May-Oct, I would say Koh Tao just because weather may make diving around Phi Phi less reliable especially August-October.
Without whale sharks, Koh Tao diving won't be nearly as good as Andaman sea for sure. Of course at the right time of the year, you can see whale sharks around Andaman sea as well. May be I just lucked out and went to Koh Tao just at the right time and saw 3 separate whale sharks over 4 days period and dove with them on 7 dives. Never saw one on Andaman side except on one dive at Black Rock in Burma.

I've never met a dive site I didn't like (with the possible exception of the King Cruiser wreck in Thailand, but that was due to a DM error in reading the tide tables). I've dived both and would recommend Phi Phi over Koh Tao.

Dr. Bill

ChristyBug:
Can anybody tell me what would be the better option for the both of us (keeping the season in mind)?
Phi Phi has the more pristiine diving, better scenic locations like Maya Bay (albeit a lot more crowded now. Koh Tao is urchin land for most sites except the pinnacles. You want good diving go to the Andaman side. You want a cheaper holiday with a bunch of backpackers learning how to dive, Koh Tao. Of course this advice also depends on WHEN you are going. Then again, even better diving is out in Indonesia.

Another vote for Phi Phi here.

Yep, I'd have to agree with everybody. Did my divemaster on Koh Tao inJan which was great in terms of meeting lots of cool people. Getting attacked by the trigger fish made it exciting and Chumpon is definately the best divesite. It's also nice as the divesites are all close by. Headed to Koh Lanta and the Similans in a couple of weeks and think the diving will be better there. You should still go to Tao if you haven't been, it's a great place.

The diving is DEFINITELY better on the west coast. I did my DMT on Koh Tao a few years ago, and just came back from a Similan/Surin liveaboard and a few weeks on Koh Lanta.
Other than Ang Thong Marine Park, which can be done from Koh Tao or Samui as a day trip, there just isn't that much spectacular diving. Of course, once monsoon sets in on the west, it just isn't worth going. So if you will be going after April, head to the Gulf or, better yet, pop down to the Pherentian islands in Malaysia. They have the opposite season as Thailand.
I, personally, don't care for staying on over-priced and over-croweded Koh Phi Phi. Koh Lanta is the better choice. Lanta Dive Centre has the best boats, staff and food. The dive groups are always small, and you are always paired off with someone of similar diving experience. Stay on Long Beach. It's the most fun.
Or if Koh Lanta isn't your thing, stay on Ao Nang or even Rai Lay. You can dive Phi Phi from all those places, and there are excellent boat trips and rock climbing to keep you happy on land.

Just came back from Phi Phi and would definitely give a vote for Phi Phi...only issue is the crowd there. It gets pretty crowded during the peak season.

ssra30:
Well, what time of the year are you coming over? Nov-March, Phi Phi is definitely the way to go. April is debatable, diving is still going to be better around Phi Phi but whale shark season start around Koh Tao at that time and viz is generally best for Koh Tao around that time as well. After May-Oct, I would say Koh Tao just because weather may make diving around Phi Phi less reliable especially August-October.
Without whale sharks, Koh Tao diving won't be nearly as good as Andaman sea for sure. Of course at the right time of the year, you can see whale sharks around Andaman sea as well. May be I just lucked out and went to Koh Tao just at the right time and saw 3 separate whale sharks over 4 days period and dove with them on 7 dives. Never saw one on Andaman side except on one dive at Black Rock in Burma.

I'll be there mid january. I cannot believe you saw 3 whalesharks in 4 days. Lucky basterd. I did see 4 mantas in 3 days on the Andaman side and I'll be diving the surin and similans again begin feb so maybe I'm whale shark lucky then.

Seems Phi phi 'd be the better option. Thnx!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom