Koh Tao - A Brief Trip Report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think that situation may have changed this year, according to some posts on this thread [Thailand in August - Andaman or Gulf? (or: Is Koh Tao really that bad?)] It would appear that KT is now not affected by the general summer downturn in Thai tourism.
These comments actually persuaded me to change my mind on my planned dive trip for next week, and have actually now decided against KT and made arrangements to visit Koh Lanta.

July / August has always been the peak season for the Gulf of Thailand, since the conditions are usually better than during the Northeast Monsoon.

Regarding Koh Lanta I would suggest to check with the dive operator you would like to dive, since most of them do not reopen until about October. Other destinations in Krabi (e.g. Ao Nang, Phi Phi, Railay Beach) or the quieter areas of Phuket, may be a better bet if you actually plan to go diving.

July / August has always been the peak season for the Gulf of Thailand, since the conditions are usually better than during the Northeast Monsoon.

Regarding Koh Lanta I would suggest to check with the dive operator you would like to dive, since most of them do not reopen until about October. Other destinations in Krabi (e.g. Ao Nang, Phi Phi, Railay Beach) or the quieter areas of Phuket, may be a better bet if you actually plan to go diving.

Yes, thanks for the info. I realise August / September is not the best time for diving ko Lanta, this is why I was considering KT, but the times I have visited KT in the past has always been around christmas and whilst I have always enjoyed the diving, albeit divesites and boats crowded, I have never really enjoyed the island. I was hoping this time of year things would be a little quieter, but from what I have read on Scubaboard recently it would appear that this is not the case. So on to Ko Lanta.

LK, the high season for the Gulf islands or Samui archipelago (August) is on it's last legs, however, due to the recent bad weather patch around Phuket, many tourists are gathering around Samui. Yesterday I took an afternoon flight from Phuket to Samui and it was pretty full, never seen that! My guess is that September will linger on for a while so KL might be a better option for you. Scubafish in the South is operating, providing enough customers warrant a trip, Blue Planet are pooling resources with a few other shops. I take it you have your fave dc already down there. Enjoy!

..so KL might be a better option for you...
I have to laugh at myself... having lived in Kuala Lumpur for a good many years (and having become a DM during my time in Malaysia), I always think of "Kuala Lumpur" when I see a reference to "KL." And then, in contexts like the one above, it doesn't make any sense! "There's no diving in KL!" I think to myself... THEN I have to backtrack and think about what else "KL" can mean, specifically in relation to diving, so the next KL that comes to mind is Khao Lak, where our Thailand liveaboards are mostly based, but no, that can't be right, because there's no diving in Khao Lak in August and September! Back to rummage through my brain... where is there diving at a "KL" this time of year? Got it! Key Largo! Uh, no... LK wouldn't be going to Key Largo as an option for Koh Tao. Hmmm. Oh, DUH! Lanta? Koh Lanta? Took me long enough!

LK, the high season for the Gulf islands or Samui archipelago (August) is on it's last legs, however, due to the recent bad weather patch around Phuket, many tourists are gathering around Samui. Yesterday I took an afternoon flight from Phuket to Samui and it was pretty full, never seen that! My guess is that September will linger on for a while so KL might be a better option for you. Scubafish in the South is operating, providing enough customers warrant a trip, Blue Planet are pooling resources with a few other shops. I take it you have your fave dc already down there. Enjoy!

Dont really have a favourite, and not looking for anything special, just some easy relaxing days diving with friends. thanks for the tips.

Dont really have a favourite, and not looking for anything special, just some easy relaxing days diving with friends. thanks for the tips.

I hope you'll post a little trip report for us. My wife and I are planning to go later this year.

Try Koh Chang from September onwards - diving is not amazing, but not bad either for the Gulf and the island is lovely and only 4 hours from Bangkok. Dive either with White Sand Dive Centre in White Sands or BB Divers in Bang Bao

Try Koh Chang from September onwards - diving is not amazing, but not bad either for the Gulf and the island is lovely and only 4 hours from Bangkok. Dive either with White Sand Dive Centre in White Sands or BB Divers in Bang Bao

Yes, very nice island with some decent diving, one of my favourite spots in Thailand, but as everywhere over recent years the place has changed beyond recognition with the constant seemingly unregulated tourist development. The first time I visited the island there was only one hotel, for the rest accomodation consisted of small guest houses and bungalows on the beach. Now, the west coast of the island is full of 5* resorts that seemingly make a lot of the secluded beaches that I previously enjoyed visiting into their own private beaches. Whilst this is not actually the case, in many instances the beaches are now not easily accesed for anyone other than resort residents.
Last year I actually experienced a trafic jam on Koh Chang!!! what ever next?

That's the way it goes....

Here's Lamai Beach, Koh Samui, in 1977:

th105.jpg

And here's Chaweng that same year:

th135.jpg

Those huge piles at the south end of the beach are oyster shells.

That's the way it goes....

Looks like a very similar situation. Suppose thats 'progress', but it doesnt mean we have to like it. At least in Koh Chang the East of the island remains relatively undeveloped, for the time being at least. And it would appear that the authorities are protecting the jungle interior of Koh Chang. Lets hope it remains that way so at least there are some quiet places left for those that like them.

Back
Top Bottom