Koh Tao Dive shop recommendation for OW (PADI)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jackuk

Registered
Reaction score
Hi all,
I would be most grateful for dive shop recommendations in Koh Tao
My requirements are :)
1. PADI (OW)
2. Small group (the smaller the better :)) , would prefer a small shop / private (probably too beyond my budget :( )
3. Patient and experienced instructor (A must, I am a slow learner :( )
Thanks in advance for any information you might be able to share :)
Best regards,
Jack

Hi all,
My requirements are
1. PADI (OW)
2. Small group (the smaller the better ) , would prefer a small shop / private (probably too beyond my budget )
3. Patient and experienced instructor (A must, I am a slow learner )
Thanks in advance for any information you might be able to share
Best regards,
Jack

Hi Jack,

I used Master Divers when out in April/May and got 35 dives in 2 weeks.

I didn't do any training, just dived; but then I'm BSAC Advanced.

With so many operators on the island offering low priced courses and diving its not practical to compete for small numbers. There are a few, but they're in the $100s per dive budget.

Kind regards

PS. when you looking to go?

Thanks Edward :)
they do have some great reviews :) just checked on tripadvisor. I am looking to do the OW next week.
I was about to book with Scuba Junction :)
Cheers again
Jack

Hi all,
My requirements are :)
1. PADI (OW)
2. Small group (the smaller the better :)) , would prefer a small shop / private (probably too beyond my budget :( )
3. Patient and experienced instructor (A must, I am a slow learner :( )
Thanks in advance for any information you might be able to share :)
Best regards,
Jack

I highly recommend Master Divers. Dived with them a few months ago and they were fantastic. Very patient and thorough instructors and DMs, very safety conscious, great equipment, small groups with close supervision. And they give you extra attention if you need it. They might be a tiny bit more expensive than some of the mega dive shops on the island, but it will be well worth it. (No, I'm not getting commission, :) )

To echo what some others have said, Master Divers is an excellent centre. They are highly rated on trip advisor, and provide knowledgeable and skilled instructors - we actually use a number of freelancers here who were trained by the team at MD!

If you are still unsure just hold off until you get here. You don't need to book in advance as courses start every day. Just make a shortlist of the centres you are interested in and do a walk around once you are here to meet the staff and the instructors. That way you know you are 100% confident in your choice.

Hope this helps, and enjoy your course & stay on Koh Tao.

Happy diving :)

There will be some dive operators in other countries who may not look favorably on an OW cert from Thailand, especially Koh Tao which has a reputation as a dive cert factory. Don't get me wrong, I'm not bashing Thailand. I spent a month there diving, including a week on Koh Tao, and really enjoyed it and the Thai people I met.

Funny thing is that the dive instructor who first dove with me on Koh Tao required me to do a check out dive despite the fact I'd been diving much longer than he'd been alive. He was from Los Angeles and for some reason wasn't aware of the Los Angeles County certification program (much more rigorous than many current ones).

Choosing a good dive center there will certainly be a plus, but keep in mind that dive operators in other countries may not fully appreciate the specific operation that certifies you and might even require a check out dive.

Another vote for Master Divers, I did my Advanced Course with them a few years ago, and going back early next year to do some more diving with them :) If you can ask for Donny, he is professional but a good laugh at the same time.

There will be some dive operators in other countries who may not look favorably on an OW cert from Thailand, especially Koh Tao which has a reputation as a dive cert factory. Don't get me wrong, I'm not bashing Thailand. I spent a month there diving, including a week on Koh Tao, and really enjoyed it and the Thai people I met.

Funny thing is that the dive instructor who first dove with me on Koh Tao required me to do a check out dive despite the fact I'd been diving much longer than he'd been alive. He was from Los Angeles and for some reason wasn't aware of the Los Angeles County certification program (much more rigorous than many current ones).

Choosing a good dive center there will certainly be a plus, but keep in mind that dive operators in other countries may not fully appreciate the specific operation that certifies you and might even require a check out dive.
One of the things I liked about Master Divers was they required a check out dive, they don't rely totally on bits of paper for experience.

Any first dive in a changed environment should, IMHO, be tame. I'm well past the stage of I'm better than anyone else; there are still things I can learn even after 35+ years of diving.

Sounds like the story about the GUE Director who was forced to do fin-pivots by a North Queensland dive shop...

Anyway, another vote for Master Divers. Small groups, they really care about the quality of their instructors and the quality of their courses. This can be rare in Thai based schools from my experience.

All divers should be happy to see that a dive operator is not relying on a cert card or even log books to determine how good a diver is. When I chose Master Divers, the fact that they make safety a priority was the reason I first used them. I've seen several divers that have been diving since before I was knee high to a grasshopper and they really weren't much better than newly carded OW students and I've also seen OW students that must have been born with gills. So another thumbs up to Master Divers for being a safe, well run dive operator on Koh Tao. I'll be getting a few dives in with them this coming April. Can't wait!!!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom