Koh Tao project "Buoyancy World"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm diving tomorrow morning, and I hope the weather isn't ****, but I'm not holding my breath...

I must say I am not a fan of this type of project.
I grew up in the countryside to be tought from an early age, Take away only your memories and photographs and leave only your footprints.
Why can we not apply the same theory undewater, not that I am endorsing footprints in the coral of course.

I respect that, but did you read any of the information on the website regarding the project's goals and mission?

I respect that, but did you read any of the information on the website regarding the project's goals and mission?

Yes I did read the website, but I am still not convinced, all too often projects such as this have far reaching effects that are not considered untill it is too late.
I grew up in the countryside and my uncle owns a farm, on that farm is a lake almost 2acre in area, it has been there hundreds of years and I fished in this lake from being a small boy, about 15 years ago it was let to an angling club on a 3 year lease, and unknown to us they started meddling, taking certain fish from the water and adding different fish, adding other things such as fish refuges in the water etc.
When unfortunately too late we realised what was going on, the lease was terminated, and here we are about 15 years later a perfectly good fishery ruined, by the actions of a few thougtless individuals. To this day the fish and other pond life has not recovered to anything like what it was.
On top of the fish, what has been the long term effect on the plant life, insects and bird life etc in the lake?
Best to leave nature alone in my opinion.

Best to leave nature alone in my opinion.

Surinboy is right.

Us humans (although part of nature) just cannot seem to stop meddling with nature. It's because of our nature I think and what we do best.
I'm positive though that whatever we do and whatever good or bad decisions we make nature will sort itself (and us with it) out...

I'm just happy that this thread has actually got people talking about something without lashing out at each other.

Tom, I hear you, and I can see that you've got opinions that are thorough, but I do disagree with some of what you say.

I think your premise about trying to alter natural balances by introducing foreign species is dead on. Reminds me of a great Simpson's episode. For sure, there are great examples of human attempts to tamper going awry. It's just that I don't see the parallel.

Yes, part of Buoyancy World is to see what, if any, marine life adapts to these structures as nurseries or artificial reefs, but I don't think that's on par with examples like introducing kudzu to control erosion only to see is spread like.... well.... kudzu.

For me, I'm excited because I'm curious. For example, I agree, and always did, with LK that instructors have no business practicing skills with beginners over live coral. That doesn't mean I can prevent lazy instructors from doing it. What I can do, is come together with other shops that normally are in too much competition to align themselves and try and make it easier to get "muppets" where they belong. If Mohammed won't come to the mountain, bring the mountain.... blah blah.

Mostly, I can't stress enough how the good will of shops working together has blown a slight wind of hope onto the island. I don''t think that should be overlooked.

Finally, I get really grey when it comes to comments about "tampering with nature" when the statement itself presumes we're not part of nature. This is one of those things I, personally, can't view so black and white. It seems like we do best if we take it case by case, and, in this case, I see more positive than negative.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom