Komodo Liveaboard

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Are you asking the OP or other divers these questions Richard?

Mostly the OP, but others' input welcome also. A business marketing a product may offer round trip planning, and I'd like to know what their typical scenario is.

I'm curious as to if you are asking if the OP can arrange everything from picking you up in a cab from your home, making all flight arrangements, hotel arrangements, LOB duration and back home again?

Pretty much. Someone anticipating multiple trips to a region, and/or a seasoned distance traveler whose ability well-handles travel scheduling complexities, may find it worthwhile to independently arrange their trip.

People anticipating one trip, with no familiarity with airports & such beyond the U.S. & Caribbean, or with multi-day flight schedules and multiple airlines, may find such overwhelming, impractical and, for one trip, not worth it. A seasoned dive travel agency that sets such trips up often, and over the years has learned where troubles/complications tend to arise, is reasonably expected to be way better at such planning.

Is it a guarantee that nothing will go other than to exact plan you are after?

That'd be sweet, but you can't get guarantees. You can get way better odds of success.

Going to Komodo is 2nd easiest diving destination in Indonesia, after Bali. I’ve been in Bali > 10x, Komodo 3x. You just fly to Denpasar, Bali & take a puddle jumper domestic flight like Garuda to Labuan Bajo, Flores. When you are ready to go to Komodo, just give me a holler. I’ll guide you through.

Appreciate the offer. It'd be at least a couple of years, I figure (with job in mind). I've tried playing with planning; I put in my local airport and 'Komodo' in Orbitz. Bottom line, Orbitz didn't quickly autogenerate an effective plan to get me there. I imagine some of those puddle jumpers aren't in it.

I figured when the time came, I'd probably end up calling one of the dive travel agencies and seeing what they'd put together. I was curious as to whether Komodo Tours Indonesia (OP) did the travel arrangements; a glance at their website doesn't make it evident they do.

Richard.

Your typical travel agent is not going to have any idea how to get you to a place like Komodo. If I were in your shoes I would get in touch with someone like Underwater Tribe or a dive only travel agent. UT because they know the local dive boats and operators in Indo and will hold your hand and make everything work once you arrive in Indo(where most of the issues are likely to happen). A dive only travel agent because they have experience with end to end arrangements - however you will have fewer options with such a choice Have done it myself for several trips to RA and used UT for one trip to RA and one to Komodo. Both options worked but using UT was more relaxed. On my own in a new country you just never know when something simple is going to go sideways - and dealing with the inevitable issue is hard on your own. Whereas when something goes sideways on a trip with UT it just gets dealt with while you enjoy the trip as they have someone in country to do just that.

Personally I like to stay a few days somewhere in Indonesia and dive before going on a liveaboard. Means you are not going to miss the boat, you will have started to get over jet lag, you have started to acclimatize to the heat and a few dives will knock whatever rust you have developed since your last dive. You also might catch a gear problem when you are closer to a place that can fix or replace something. I find that getting over jet lag is the largest benefit.

take dan t's advice and give him a tickle when you are ready to make your move. a couple days in bali before heading to labuan bajo is great advice - do a tune up dive or 2 (some great diving on bali!) and don't underestimate the effects of jet lag after a long set of grueling flights over 12 time zones.
as alluded to, labuan bajo (LBJ) is unlikely to show up in a regular flight search. from expedia out of atlanta: "We've searched more than 400 airlines that we sell, and couldn't find any flights from Atlanta (ATL) to Labuan Bajo (LBJ)." same is true for chicago, and all new york airports. but you will get a ton of results to denpasar, bali (DPS). for planning and a feel for things, check garuda, lion air, and wings air DPS-LBJ.

Last edited:
Mt Agung can play havoc to any travel plan.
To anyone who has never set foot in that part of the world(SE Asia), Bali could be too exotic especially the spicy Indonesian food. A stop over in Singapore to recuperate before heading to LBJ via Denpasar is a good alternative. However, Singapore is pretty BLAND to me at least.

I am with Dan_T on this. I always use nitrox in Bali, Komodo and RA. Many dive shops in Bali/N. Lembogan/N. Penida will not provide nitrox, since they are worried about buoyancy and competence of many recreational divers.

I'd want to know whether you guys also arrange airfare, and how you handle planning. For example, if a diver is coming from the U.S....

1.) How many days do you allow to fly to/from the U.S. to catch the boat? I'm in KY, so let's say southeastern or southern U.S.
For Komodo specifically you should fly internationally into Bali as being the easiest airport to connect to the domestic flight. I would recommend allowing 3 days prior to the boat departure for flying in, which should take into account any timezone adjustment from KY and give you at least 1 overnight in a hotel prior to domestic flight (this allows for baggage delays and also helps combat the jetlag before the diving begins). Our pals came in from Houston last year arriving around 6pm with Eva Air via Taipei.

2.) Showing up a day late for a live-aboard literally means missing the boat! Do you plan people to arrive a day or two before the boat leaves? If so, which? Where do they stay?
Most people would fly into Bali the day before departure (at least) and stay there. There are loads of hotel options close to the airport. I usually use the Vira Bali if I'm not spending longer than a night or 2 in Bali itself. They have free airport shuttles, comfy beds, great breakfast with really good coffee! Most liveaboards will expect to pick guests up from the domestic airport on the day of departure.

3.) Do you plan around people overnighting at a hotel flying there or back, or is it one grueling long-distance flight after another, aside from airport layovers?
Post liveaboard, take your domestic flight back to Bali and Ideally spend another night in a hotel there before taking your international connection - or at least make sure your international flight departs later than 5pm. Domestic flights can experience delays... or as happened to me last year the airport could close due to Mt Agung

I'm not at a point right now where I can do a Komodo trip, but if that changes, those are the hurdles I'll need dealt with. You don't have to sell me on the diving!

I point this out because if that's my position, I imagine it might be some other peoples' position as well, only maybe some of them could book and go.
I have always booked my own travel and am confident to do so but when we do a group trip, some of our fellow travellers are quite nervy of all the planning. We then give the domestic flight info and meet the other guests at the hotel or airport and then handle the domestic flight check in together.

dbl check with the operator where your trip will leave from and end. Some trips depart from bali ending in labuan bajo (LBJ), some do LBJ-LBJ others to LBJ to Bima or vice versa and some Bima-Bima.

kayak.com is a great resource for checking flight routes from your area to indonesia (and anywhere really!)

Hope this info helps when it comes time for you to experience Komodo. Feel free to pm me if you need any help (i'm not an agent!)

Richard.
Susie

Last edited:
One comment. Down currents are not common at Komodo. Not common does not mean that it will not happen, in particular at Castle Rock, Crystal Rock, and Batu Bolong. Experienced divers have experienced down currents, down to 55-60 meters. Although I always use nitrox, everyone should apply sensible and safe diving practices, using the tidal cycle, lunar cycle, and topography to plan their dives.

Edited for clarity, while at Komodo.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom