Kona Dive Shops ( Who is the best? )

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hello Scubaboard !

I'll be in Kona in Mid October. You experts have been there for me before. I need you, I need you. Help me ! Help me ! Which are the best dive shops? Thanks !
We were in Kona this past May we used Kona Honu Divers.

The boat was nice and the entry easy, just sit down on the platform and they bring your gear to you, then just stand up and giant stride.....no walking to the back of the boat with a tank on your back. The boat was roomy and had fresh water showers.

However, certain members of the staff could use some social skills (just my humble opinion) and remember that divers are on vacation to have fun and the dive op plays a role in this. Being overly critical of divers or embarrassing them publically is not a good way to get return customers. Really though, to be fair, just a couple of indivduals lacked tact, most of the staff was attentive.

We were told that Jack's was rude however, when we went to thier shop to buy a few items we found them to be very helpful and very friendly.

I'm not saying the Kona Huno was a totally bad experience or choice, I just don't think there was anythere that overly impressed me ot that would impell me to come back, if I had to rate them in a customer service survey from a scale of 1-5 I would probably give them a 3.5.

If we go back to Kona we would probably use Jack's or Big Island just to check it out.

I've been to Jack's, it is nice. Didn't get a chance to dive while I was there:shakehead:

I've used both Kona Honu and Big Island Divers and had no issues with either. Kona Honu even picked me up and dropped me off when my non-diving family couldn't. Customer service at both was excellent.

I would have also used Jack's, but they cancelled their advanced dive trip on me.

Posted via Mobile Device

Hello Scubaboard !

I'll be in Kona in Mid October. You experts have been there for me before. I need you, I need you. Help me ! Help me ! Which are the best dive shops? Thanks !
we will be in kona any where between feb may-best ocean view condos private or resort-best location closest to ocean,dive shops,cost-co-etc-2 m0nth stay-greg

Our fav is Pacific Rim Divers, we use Patrice everytime we go to the B.I. Her killer brownies make for a great S.I.

Any comments about"Dive Makai?" They came up on my google search for Dive Operators, Kona.

Hi,

About 2 weeks ago I met Lisa (one of Dive Makai's founders) in the Solomon Islands where she has set up a dive resort. I know she is no longer involved with Dive Makai. Three different couples on our trip had dove with her in Hawaii at Dive Makai. She remembered all of them. They all raved about their experiences with Dive Makai (several years ago now). The consist comment was about the detailed briefings and the knowledge about the fish, their behavior, etc. If the current owners are running it in the same way, it might be a good bet. However, do get some more recent recommendations if you can.

Hi,

About 2 weeks ago I met Lisa (one of Dive Makai's founders) in the Solomon Islands where she has set up a dive resort. I know she is no longer involved with Dive Makai. Three different couples on our trip had dove with her in Hawaii at Dive Makai. She remembered all of them. They all raved about their experiences with Dive Makai (several years ago now). The consist comment was about the detailed briefings and the knowledge about the fish, their behavior, etc. If the current owners are running it in the same way, it might be a good bet. However, do get some more recent recommendations if you can.

There's the old Dive Makai and the new Dive Makai. Nothing wrong with the new Dive Makai...but it should be considered a different (and new) business because it is.

In September we stayed up at Hapuna for a few days and I went out with Kohala Divers, then back down south with Big Island Divers.

Kohala crew was pleasant. There were 7 divers on the boat and 3 DM's plus 1 student assigned to one of the DM's, each with our own gear; however, I swear the boat had enough rental gear for 15 more people scattered about! Space to walk from the bow to the aft dive platform was cluttered and very tight-almost a trip hazard. Took the topside enjoyment out of it for all of us as we dicussed among our groups after returning to shore. First dive site was a waste of air(and money)! The second dive site we went to had great swim throughs and lot's to see, albeit it was about 100' out from a private residence and shorline. I would probably pass on returning to dive with Kohala.

Big Island Divers: Josh was the DM on our trips. Very knowledgeable and into what he should be doing...looking after and interacting with the paying guests. Will definetly return to BID for a trip when we return in January.

Watching this post myself for ideas of other outfits to do 3 days with.

In September we stayed up at Hapuna for a few days and I went out with Kohala Divers, then back down south with Big Island Divers.

Kohala crew was pleasant. There were 7 divers on the boat and 3 DM's plus 1 student assigned to one of the DM's, each with our own gear; however, I swear the boat had enough rental gear for 15 more people scattered about! Space to walk from the bow to the aft dive platform was cluttered and very tight-almost a trip hazard. Took the topside enjoyment out of it for all of us as we dicussed among our groups after returning to shore. First dive site was a waste of air(and money)! The second dive site we went to had great swim throughs and lot's to see, albeit it was about 100' out from a private residence and shorline. I would probably pass on returning to dive with Kohala.

About my impression/experience, too (Kohala Divers). The DMs we had were great and I liked how they broke us up into small groups, so I really wanted to be able to rave about the operation. They took time to find and point out critters, and gave good briefings about what we'd be looking for. I will say that I don't really have anything negative to say, but I've been with better. For the location, if you're staying by Waikoloa or further north, the convenience factor might worth it compared to driving down to Kona every morning. It was for us, as I really hated that drive. However, shore diving Puako road was undisputably better than any of the boat dives I did with Kohala Divers.

also, Kohala dives with 72s, so if you need 80s for some reason, you need to ask(they accommodate but they have to know before they load the boat). I felt bad for some of the newer divers who couldn't last more than 30 minutes under the water.

Back
Top Bottom