Kona Side Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Zman96

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello all, we are looking at visiting the BI in October. The majority of my diving has been drift diving in the Caribbean and a few wreck dives in the Great Lakes. I am looking to do a day or two of diving and I am most interested in diving that would give me the best chance of seeing sharks. Do you all have any recommendations? I am also planning to do the Manta dive while my wife and son snorkel, I am open to suggestions there as well. Thanks in advance.

Big Island Divers has an excellent manta dive. I had used another operator but switched a year ago after being bumped on two of my four days.

Hello all, we are looking at visiting the BI in October. The majority of my diving has been drift diving in the Caribbean and a few wreck dives in the Great Lakes. I am looking to do a day or two of diving and I am most interested in diving that would give me the best chance of seeing sharks. Do you all have any recommendations? I am also planning to do the Manta dive while my wife and son snorkel, I am open to suggestions there as well. Thanks in advance.
Jack’s Diving Locker runs a very good boat for the Manta dives

Most of the shops run half-day, two-tank dives that are within 30 minutes of the harbor. Sharks are kind of hit or miss, there's a chance of running into a big Tiger at Dog Beach right outside the harbor, or maybe a whitetip at some locations. Further out on some of the long-range day trips, greys and maybe a hammerhead are possible as are a potential off-shore whale shark encounter.

Most of the shops run half-day, two-tank dives that are within 30 minutes of the harbor. Sharks are kind of hit or miss, there's a chance of running into a big Tiger at Dog Beach right outside the harbor, or maybe a whitetip at some locations. Further out on some of the long-range day trips, greys and maybe a hammerhead are possible as are a potential off-shore whale shark encounter.
Ahh the Dog Beach death march. To the OP, how do you feel about carrying all your gear over a bunch of loose (medium sized) volcanic rocks. Probably only 50 yards, but certainly not a lot of fun

Ahh the Dog Beach death march. To the OP, how do you feel about carrying all your gear over a bunch of loose (medium sized) volcanic rocks. Probably only 50 yards, but certainly not a lot of fun
Curious to your point?

It was actually my favorite Hawaii dive, despite the hike. Garden eels at 130' on the outside of the cove. Turtle cleaning station across the cove. Easy entry/exit with coral beginning only a few feet from shore. I saw a marlin jumping in the cove from the beach. My ex had a manta swim up to her in twenty-five feet there.

Back
Top Bottom