Kona in March 2010

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scuba Shore Diving Site Listing for: The Big Island, Hawaiian Islands
Alua Beach is one of my favorites. There is coral beginning in only a foot of water, so as you snorkel out you always have things to see. There is a deep channel in the center of the cove that goes down to 130', where you will find garden eels by the thousands.
I would not use any boats, as they are expensive and dive close to shore anyway. The last couple of times I went, I rented tanks and weights only. After diving I would exchange the tanks for full ones rather than wait for fills.
The only boat dive worth the money is the manta ray night dive. You can sign up for that and rent at any shop in town.

Go over the the "Hawai'i 'Ohana" section of the Travel & Dive Clubs forum. You will find many postings on this subject.

You talking Kona in March 2011?

Oops. Didn't see the corrected post. Carry on.

moved to the 'Ohana...

I would highly recommend Wanna Dive Kona! I was in Kona in February of this year and dove with Steve and his crew. IT WAS AWESOME, no cattle boats here, Steve is the owner and the captain of the boat. Very down to earth, knowledgeable and inexpensive. Before moving to Kona he managed a tropical fish store so he know what all the pretty fishes are!! I will dive with him again next time I go to the big island. His website is here Scuba diving in Kona on the Big Island of Hawaii with Wanna Dive. Boat diving charters, classes, intro dives. He is also a member of Scubaboard is name is friscuba. Also, his price includes a light lunch of deli sandwiches and sports drinks or water from a good little local deli. Good luck, have fun!

Jack's Dive Locker was great. Apparently, they put their DMC's to good use. They have maps of various shore dives. They look like they were the mapping project assignment for the DM program. As such, they provide a lot of useful info. Tanks were $10/day with unlimited fills. Lots of dive sites within 30 minutes of the shop, so you can get a few dives in each day for cheap. Loved it down there!

The Manta Ray night dive was the highlight of our Kona dive trip, and I highly recommend it. We saw thirteen Mantas the night we went, which was in June. We went through Big Island Divers, and they were great. I've also heard great reports about Jacks Diving Locker.

Back
Top Bottom