Kona/Kohala rentals

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Two families planning a diving trip to the Big Island. We'd like to rent a house at or near the beach with lots of convenient beach diving, convenient eateries, lovely surroundings, and nearby tank fills. Puako would be ideal except that it's too far to get fills, especially nitrox. Can anyone suggest alternatives?

For all that you're looking for, I'd recommend the Captain Cook area, or someplace else closer to Kona. Kona has tons of restaurants and dive shops, and there are lots of good diving and snorkeling spots between Kona and Captain Cook, including several with shore entries. Not that Kohala (Puako) isn't nice, it's just a little more isolated. It's mostly resorts up there, and a shopping mall at Waikoloa. But the marina is just a few miles south, offering another clutch of dive shops. It's arid on Kohala and therefore the landscaping is very manicured, whereas Captain Cook is naturally lush (and has coffee farms - yum!). Perhaps you know all this already, and perhaps Kohala is what you prefer. Just my two cents.

PS -- if you're going there in the winter, then Kohala is a better bet as far as consistently sunny weather, not that Kona gets toooo much rain.

pigletfish:
For all that you're looking for, I'd recommend the Captain Cook area .....

Can't mention Captain Cook without the coffee farms, painted church, and the Manago Hotel and its pork chops. The "old" side has rooms with the shared bathrooms; cheap but "sporty".

http://www.managohotel.com/

Mauna Kea also has fills. Thats where I go after some bad dealings with Kohala....Puako is very nice (going there in the am) but south Kona, Capt Cook may be better for you for shoping, nightlife, ect. Dont miss Two step aka Place of refuge for diving, one of the better shore dives in Kona.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom