Kona Trip Report Part 2

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LindaBluedolphin

Resident/Token Treehugger
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Wednesday afteroon we worked with a modified schedule due to the location change (we lost the afternoon dives) and did a night dive a Turtle Pinnacle. During the morning this is generally a turtle cleaning station. I actually did this dive, yes I know I hate night dives, but had only done two that day so I decided to give it a go. Saw a variety of stars, pencil urchins, horned Helmet Crab in a huge shell, and a bunch of other stuff. When I got back on the boat I was kicking myself for doing the night dive, because I don’t enjoy night dives.

Thursday (9-1) we had a choice of doing a rare dive on the wreck of the Naked Lady or doing both dives at Kalokos Arches. I passed on the dive since it was going to be a very quick dive 20 minutes total. The wreck is at 115’ and caught fire and sunk about 7 years ago.

At Kalokos Arches I was part of a small group of 3 who did this dive (the others did the wreck and had to have a longer surface interval). I pretty much had the Dive Master all to myself as the other two were the couple who did not seem to socialize with the group. While cruising through the arches there were tons of Bluelined Snapper (T’ape), hanging out in the pass through. I also had a sighting of a pair of Lemon Butterfly, which I understand is somewhat rare. I started the 2nd dive at this site by myself under the boat until the group headed my way and I met up with them. The viability seriously dropped by the end of this dive to something like, hmmmm “nothing”, well it appeared to be nothing given the other dives had all been in the 75-80’+ range.

For the afternoon portion we moved to Amphitheatre, it was rather surgey so I passed on the 2nd dive at this site and of course the surge was gone and it was a wonderful dive (I hate when that happens)

Our night dive was done at this site, but I passed since I hate night dives, did I say that already, the part about not liking night dives? Anyway we had another visitor to the boat, you guessed it another manta. This time it was Shadow, he gave us a wonderful show. When the mantas came to the back of the boat the ladders were pulled up to give the manta room perform for the plankton. Some of the other divers who went in, just sort of hung out under the boat watching the show.

Friday (9-2) it was back to Turtle Pinnacle for the 2 morning dives (since it was the last day there were only 2 dives scheduled). I had to sit out since I had to fly out Friday night. Given it was a holiday weekend and my ticket was on FF Miles I had a choice leave a bit early or never get back (as tempting as the never sounds, reality is what it is and I had to make a choice). The reports indicate there were just a few turtles however I got to see dolphins playing on the surface. Actually there were numerous dolphin sightings throughout the week. During the surface interval the trip video (DVD) was shown, and it really was very good, however the $65 price tag was not too attractive, especially since I don’t even have a DVD player.

Friday afternoon we pulled into Port in Kona and got off the boat for some afternoon sightseeing (about 1:45 worth), and on the way back to the boat we spied turtles galore in the shallows along the sea wall, I could have stayed forever watching, but had to be back at the boat. Once back on the boat there was a gear cleaning party and the top sun deck looked like a dive swap meet with gear everywhere. Then there was the cocktail party. Then it was time for the slide show, which was quite funny as well.

When all was said and done the folks from my group and the guy from Maryland headed off to dinner, the couple from Tampa, well who knows where they went, and I headed to the airport. I must say the airport in Kona is probably the worst airport I have ever been to, it was a very strange airport.

My flight left at 9:50 pm on Friday (Kona time) and I arrived back in Raleigh about 6:15 Saturday (Raleigh time), good thing I can sleep on boats. I have to say it was a great trip and loved the diving in Hawaii

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom