Kraken vs. SeaLife Smarthousing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Possibly late to the party, but I felt I should chime in. I received a KRH07 (the version with Temperature and pressure sensors) as a gift and it's probably one of the most disappointing pieces of gear I've ever dealt with. Here's a summary of my issues:

My current phone is a Pixel 7 Pro. Physically, the housing is well constructed, but the accompanying app is barely functional and completely inadequate. I've now used this for a week's diving and I do not think as a whole this is fit for purpose. I have tested both the Kraken app and the Pixel Housing Connector (intended for the V1 versions). The 'standby' mode is not useful as it does not prevent the phone from locking. I lost one dive because the phone locked from the compass standby screen.

The logging does not appear to be functional. I cannot figure out how to retrieve dive logs from the housing. Which makes the pressure/temperature sensors useless. Camera controls are both laggy and cumbersome. It's very fiddly to adjust zoom or photo/video modes in the moment. Shutter lag is so long that many shots are lost. Autofocus is quite slow and manipulating the controls to use manual focus is awkward.

The gallery function on the app is useless. You cannot zoom into the photos, or even swipe from one to the next. There are no other in app controls, such as delete. The one touch corrections are very slow and often yield poor results. There is also a lag between the app controls and it taking effect which led to me saving the changes with a poor set of changes.

Bottom line: I would steer clear unless there is ample evidence that the app has improved.

Possibly late to the party, but I felt I should chime in. I received a KRH07 (the version with Temperature and pressure sensors) as a gift and it's probably one of the most disappointing pieces of gear I've ever dealt with. Here's a summary of my issues:

My current phone is a Pixel 7 Pro. Physically, the housing is well constructed, but the accompanying app is barely functional and completely inadequate. I've now used this for a week's diving and I do not think as a whole this is fit for purpose. I have tested both the Kraken app and the Pixel Housing Connector (intended for the V1 versions). The 'standby' mode is not useful as it does not prevent the phone from locking. I lost one dive because the phone locked from the compass standby screen.

The logging does not appear to be functional. I cannot figure out how to retrieve dive logs from the housing. Which makes the pressure/temperature sensors useless. Camera controls are both laggy and cumbersome. It's very fiddly to adjust zoom or photo/video modes in the moment. Shutter lag is so long that many shots are lost. Autofocus is quite slow and manipulating the controls to use manual focus is awkward.

The gallery function on the app is useless. You cannot zoom into the photos, or even swipe from one to the next. There are no other in app controls, such as delete. The one touch corrections are very slow and often yield poor results. There is also a lag between the app controls and it taking effect which led to me saving the changes with a poor set of changes.

Bottom line: I would steer clear unless there is ample evidence that the app has improved.
It’s to bad that they haven’t figured out the app, it looks like a great concept.

I have a KRHO6 and have experienced many connectivity issues with my Samsung S22+. It has dropped the BT connection numerous times, and the only way to reconnect is to open the housing and re pair the housing and phone. With the Sealife I haven't had any of those issues.It connects and stays connected. My only issue with the SL is that if you are using a Samsung phone with 3 lenses (wide, ultrawide and telephoto), you cant use the telephoto like with iphone. Also, you are limited to a maximum of 12mp resolution, even though the S22+ has a 50mp res front facing camera. SL says it's due to Samsung not allowing full functional access to the native camera's capacities via a third party app. Not sure how it works with iphone. Personally, I would get the Sealife cuz nothing is worse than trying to take a photo or video and you can't because the BT connection dropped. Maybe the Kraken app, which was always glitchy and cumbersome has been improved?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom