Kydex / SS Hybrid Plate Weight

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

divesergeant

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi Tobin,

Your website gives the weight of the large SS backplate as 5.8lbs. What is the weight of the large Kydex/SS hybrid?

I'm wondering about the weight difference between the Kydex/SS hybrid and others' aluminum plates. Of course, with theirs I'd need a single tank adapter, too, so I imagine they'll be much heavier as a package. Right?

Thanks,
DS

Hi Tobin,

Your website gives the weight of the large SS backplate as 5.8lbs. What is the weight of the large Kydex/SS hybrid?

I'm wondering about the weight difference between the Kydex/SS hybrid and others' aluminum plates. Of course, with theirs I'd need a single tank adapter, too, so I imagine they'll be much heavier as a package. Right?

Thanks,
DS

I'm not at the shop right now, but IIRC about 3.5 lbs. Keep in mind that in most cases the in water performance with a SS plate is better. One of the key benefits of a BP&W is the ballast the plate provides up over your buoyant lungs.

Even with a SS plate it is common for a BP&W to be lighter in terms of travel weight than many conventional BC's.

I'll weigh a couple plates tomorrow and let you know the actual difference.

Tobin

Thanks Tobin,

I'm looking at tropical travel and wanting to keep baggage weight to a minimum, so the lighter the better. I may have to give in and use a weight belt when diving.

DS

Thanks Tobin,

I'm looking at tropical travel and wanting to keep baggage weight to a minimum, so the lighter the better. I may have to give in and use a weight belt when diving.

DS

DS,

That's a common interest, less travel weight, but it's worth keeping in mind that the combination of a buoyant al 80 tank and near neutral backplate + 4-6 lbs in a weight belt can make horizontal trim more difficult.

The ballast that a SS plate provides is an effective way to offset the buoyancy of an empty al 80.

I did weigh the plates today and the difference is about 4 lbs for the large size plate.

Tobin

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom