La Dania's Leap

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rynomar

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I am going to Bonaire in early January for the third time and I am hoping to do the La Diana's Leap to Karpata drift dive. I have read some about it but I have not been able to find a really good description of the point of entry. Does anybody out there have a good description of the leap-off point?

I know I read a trip report from someone who did it. May want to go back and look at some of them. Maybe it was Clay Jar?

Will do. Thanks.

I haven't typed that up, but I'll get it typed up. (It's certainly worth typing up, as it was a great dive.)

I am going to Bonaire in early January for the third time and I am hoping to do the La Diana's Leap to Karpata drift dive. I have read some about it but I have not been able to find a really good description of the point of entry. Does anybody out there have a good description of the leap-off point?

Just so you know the site is called "La Dania's Leap." Not a big deal...just thought you should know.

I did a drift dive in June from there to Karpata. As you drive up the road you will need to be careful not to go past La Dania because you are on a one-way road at that point. Stop and drop your gear and have your buddy wait with it by the side of the road while you drive further down to park at Karpata. Remember to leave everything you will need for the dive at the side of the road because you will be taking about a 5-7 minute walk south back to your gear after leaving the truck at Karpata. (This includes putting your wetsuit on and leaving clothes in the truck)

After you walk back you will need to help each other put your gear on by the road. It is easier than doing it by the water. Walk on the little "path" until you get to the rocky area. There is a somewhat challenging jagged rock walk to the water's edge with your gear on. I would probably not recommend it to those that have balance issues or those uncomfortable carrying their gear for any sort of distance

From the "path" walk down and a bit to the right (north) where there is an adequate area to put on your fins and giant stride in. You will most likely need to use your buddy for balance to do this.This area is just a bit north of the mooring buoy in the water. The water is deep enough here.

The jump off the rocks is at least as high as it is at Oil Slick Leap, maybe even a bit higher. When I was there the surf was high and rough. I had to watch the swells for a minute so I timed it while it was going out. If you time it incorrectly there is a chance the water will push you back against the rocks. This could be dangerous especially since your truck is no longer right near you and it would take you a while to return to town for medical help should the need arise.

I'm sure I don't need to say this, but enter the water with your fins on, plenty of air in your BC, holding your regulator in your mouth. Once you and your buddy enter descend as soon as you are both set. Despite the surface conditions it is much more calm under the water. There was not much of a current to do our "drift" but just a ever so slight push in the northerly direction.

All that being said, it was a wonderful dive! The wall is beautiful and a great change from most of the other Bonaire dives. (mind you I don't have that much wall experience so it may pale in comparison to other wall dives.) It helps if you've done Karpata before and can recognize the area that you want to surface at, otherwise you may pop up to soon or too late to exit at the stairs.

I'm not sure if I took any pictures or videos or the area when I went. I will look to see if I did. I hope this description is what you're looking for and it helps.

There is a sign (kind of purple/yellow yin/yan sing) painted on the road. You'll see it if you'll find it if you continue the road from Ol'Blue towards Karpata. At the left hand you'll see some stones piled on each other and at te right side of the road there is a small place to park max 2 cars.
At the pile there is a small road going down. Follow this to the water. If you come to the water, go about15-20meters to your right. This is the lowest point and most easy to enter the water. You can take a giant stride there, the water is deep enough.
For sure you need good booties of shoes to protect your feet but the road towards the water is pretty much ok. The snorkel/dive towards Karpata will take you about an hours, depending on the current. Even if the currents is against: you always head for Karpata, Ol Blue is pretty far (about 2,5 hour and the first exit-point to the left) and there are no other exit-points in between.
The dive and snorkel are gorgeous!! A even saw a manta once and often turtles.
If you come up at Karpata: one person is heading for the car (5 min walk) and the others can wait with the gear.
Have fun!

Someone has already posted the directions, but here are the directions I used to find the entry point the first time I did this dive. This was taken from Bonaire Talk and it's easy enough to find, just follow the directions. You'll recognise the little parking spot when you see it. This is a beautiful dive, you need to be committed because it is a long way. Have a great trip. :palmtree: Bob

Thanks guys. That is alot of really useful information. I found the spot you guys are talking about the last time I was there but I was not positive, and I wanted to make sure of it before I committed to a really long swim. I would not complain too much if we saw a manta on the dive but I am sure that it will be a ton of fun regardless.

Thanks again,

Ryan

Wouldn't it make more sense to drop all the gear and divers at La Dania's Leap, take the truck to Karpata then the driver walks back to begin the dive? When you finish the dive, your truck is right there waiting for you.

I was going to type a little info up, but I ended up going into full dive report mode, so I figured I'd post it myself and just link the thread here.

[thread=255881]Dive Report: La Dania's Leap to Karpata[/thread]

(I even included GPS coordinates and measured distances... yeah, I'm a geek. :biggrin:) As for answering just the initial question of this thread...
Now for the "big" difference between La Dania's Leap and Oil Slick Leap. (Okay, there's the whole "you can't climb back up" bit, too, but that's not it.) The difference is that at Oil Slick Leap, the edge was pretty much a vertical (or slightly undercut) lip, whereas at La Dania's Leap, the edge rolls down like the leading edge of an airplane wing. It's not like you have to slide off (which would likely slice your wetsuit's seat into ribbons), but it was slightly more intimidating to me. All I did was lean a little more forward (instead of being straight up) as I did my giant stride (okay, more of a "Great Leap Forward"), but it *did* make me go "Hmm..." for just a moment.
(It's not like it's a foot of downslope -- more like 4 inches, perhaps -- but it looked more intimidating to me. :))

Back
Top Bottom