La Paz or Cabo Pulmo in March?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Carol202

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I want to add a few land days to a future dive trip to the Socorro Islands. I know March isn't the best time to dive the Sea of Cortez because of wind and visibility issues, but I want to enjoy some sea lion action. Hopefully, we will also see some of the other creatures that are endemic to the Sea of Cortez, but sea lions are a priority. (This will also provide time for any misplaced luggage to catch up before boarding a liveaboard).

We fly into Cabo San Lucas, and I want to rent a car and drive to La Paz or Cabo Plumo. I'm more into nature and culture than night life and shopping. I don't need a fancy resort or hotel. I prefer smaller mom and pop restaurants than big, fancy chains.

I could use some experienced opinions because I'm torn between the two locations for the following reasons:

1. Both have sea lion colonies, but La Paz's may be friendlier? Has anyone been to both locations? is it too difficult to get to the sea lion colonies at either location in March?

2. Cabo Pulmo has shorter boat rides, but less protection from winter swells than La Paz. Which would be better in March--a short bumpy ride, or a longer ride with some protection? Getting seasick isn't an issue for me.

3. Cabo Pulmo has the national park we can visit in the event our diving gets blown out; does La Paz have any natural or historical sites to visit if diving isn't a go?

4. Does either location sell dive packages for multiple days of diving or even a lodging/dive package? I haven't been able to find much on the internet about this. It does seem that diving can be a little cheaper in Cabo Pulmo, but this isn't a deal breaker.

I am aware many businesses visit these sites to troll for business, and I don't mind them trying to sell me their business. I just ask that everyone be respectful of the opinions of others.

Thanks,
Carol

Hola !

I read your post and would like to answer some of your questions.

It says in your post " La Paz or Cabo Pulmo in March"? you mean march 2014?

First, why not visit both places if you can't decide? They are not so far away...and it can be easily organized.

I run dive tours in Cabo Pulmo, and organize trips combining cabo pulmo and la paz, so I know well both areas.

I could use some experienced opinions because I'm torn between the two locations for the following reasons:

1. Both have sea lion colonies, but La Paz's may be friendlier? Has anyone been to both locations? is it too difficult to get to the sea lion colonies at either location in March? for sealions diving, no doubt about choosing La Paz over Cabo Pulmo. Friendlier, more sealions, la paz sealion dive is great.

2. Cabo Pulmo has shorter boat rides, but less protection from winter swells than La Paz. Which would be better in March--a short bumpy ride, or a longer ride with some protection? Getting seasick isn't an issue for me. Boat rides in Pulmo are 15 minutes approximately. This March was very windy, and made diving very complicated either in Cabo Pulmo and La Paz, so to answer your question, it's the same situation pretty much in both places.

3. Cabo Pulmo has the national park we can visit in the event our diving gets blown out; does La Paz have any natural or historical sites to visit if diving isn't a go? I would say the opposite, La Paz has more options of off the water/ no diving activities than Cabo Pulmo. Cabo Pulmo national park is the marine park. When we have windy days in the winter in Cabo Pulmo, I organize day trips for the divers to a local oasis to spend the day at the natural hot springs. It's one hour drive from Cabo Pulmo. In Cabo Pulmo, there are a couple of nice trails for MT biking and hiknig, but not much more...

4. Does either location sell dive packages for multiple days of diving or even a lodging/dive package? I haven't been able to find much on the internet about this. It does seem that diving can be a little cheaper in Cabo Pulmo, but this isn't a deal breaker.

I can help you organize your journey in Cabo Pulmo. Diving is a bit cheaper in Cabo Pulmo indeed....

I am aware many businesses visit these sites to troll for business, and I don't mind them trying to sell me their business. I just ask that everyone be respectful of the opinions of others. I am a business and you can read my past posts and see I don't criticize other businesses, but try to promote other destinations, in this case La Paz. I am based in Cabo Pulmo, and run small group of diver trips in Cabo Pulmo marine park. This is my webpage Cabo Pulmo diving - Dive trips in Baja California Sur

Hope this info helps you plan your trip and send me an email if you have questions.

ciao

Thierry
Cabo Pulmo diving - Dive trips in Baja California Sur

How often do divers get bit by the sea lions? I did a snorkel trip in 2005 with Fun Baja to Los Islotes and got nipped in the mid section by a pup. I was only wearing a rash guard but it didn't break the skin. Another guy in group was wearing a 3mm and got bit hard enough to draw blood.

I went diving at Los Islotes in July. It was approximately a 45 minute boat ride from La Paz. I was actually hoping the sea lion pups would be more interactive. They would bark in the water and corkscrew but at a comfortable distance. I have heard of the fin nipping etc. did not encounter any of that. We were warned that the male bulls may get territorial(as it was mating season), but never was an issue. Actually one very large male would come up behind me, flip and corkscrew in the opposite direction. Major P.I.T.A to try to photograph because these guys are fast. But to give you an idea of the decent sized male below is a photo. No great photographs, but some fun memories which I would love to try again. I found the dive at Los Islotes to be rich with marine life. We actually saw a turtle, lots of eels, and some wonderful macro subjects. I did not see any sea lions in Cabo Pulmo or in the Cabo Marine Park. From what I understand, July was not prime time for sightings.
IMG_1000001130.jpg

Thanks for the info, especially on the sea lion coloney since that is the main purpose of the visit. My trip isn't until Mar 2015 when I am doing a liveaboard to the Socorro Islands. The land-based is just going to be a short side trip. If i was coming just to do Baja, I think I would do that at a time of year that has better dive conditions.
Carol

---------- Post added April 28th, 2013 at 11:07 AM ----------

From what I understand, July was not prime time for sightings.

I read that somewhere because they had up to La Paz to mate. Thanks for the info.
Carol

I went in La Paz in april 2007, so my info might be a little outdated. I used Club Cantamar, using their package for diving and lodging. They are not in town, but it wasn't a problem for me as they organized shuttles on the evenings for people wanting to go out.
In one week of diving, I went twice to the sea lion colony, and it was very nice. I think it was in the range of 1 hour boat trip, but I don't really remember, as it was a nice trip with spectacular landscape.
I did love to plays with the sea lions which were very curious and friendly.
lapaz3_044.JPG
On at least half of the others dives, I also saw sea lions, but they were more stealth.
I also missed a whale, which was at the surface when I was still at 40m.

Thanks Sebach!

---------- Post added May 3rd, 2013 at 07:00 PM ----------

Thanks Thierry,

We aren't going until Mar 2015. We have booked a liveaboard to the Socorro Islands, but want to do a short side trip to see sea lions. I have also read that March is one of the best months to see whale sharks around La Paz. I would like to check that off my bucket list.

I appreciate all the information you sent.

Carol

Hola !

It says in your post " La Paz or Cabo Pulmo in March"? you mean march 2014?

Thierry
Cabo Pulmo diving - Dive trips in Baja California Sur

I was in Cabo San Lucas in November of 2012. Did some diving with Manta Dive shop there. One of the options they offerred was a day trip to La Paz to 1) snorkel with whale sharks and 2) scuba dive with sea lions. It was great ! Being in the water with a whale shark was a cool experience. And the sea lions were extremely friendly and because the dive depth was pretty shallow we got to spend a lot of time with them. Not a cheap day but well worth it.

Thanks. We will probably stay in La Paz or Cabo Pulmo. Cabo San Lucas is too much of a party town for me. I like something a little more laid back. Glad you were able to do both sea lions and a whale shark.

Back
Top Bottom