La Paz Recommendations?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

broadreach

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Posted this earlier and got no respone, so I'm trying again with a different title. Surely someone here can offer some advice from their experience diving in La Paz, Baja California, Mexico.

Going to Baja in early June with a friend of mine. We're both experienced divers looking for recommendations for reputable operators and good dive sites. This will be our first time diving in the Sea of Cortez and we're particularly interested in seeing large pelagics and especially hammerheads. We realize that nature doesn't always cooperate and early June is not the BEST time for the Sea of Cortez but that's what we've got.

We're flying into Los Cabos. My initial research suggests that best chance to see hammerheads is at El Bajo around La Paz area. Is this correct?
Anyone has any experience with the Cortez Club?
How about Club Cantamar?
What about Baja Expeditions?

Should I bring my 5 mm wet suit (2 pieces) or just take my 1 mm neoprene skin?

Any other suggestions? Recommendations?

Thanks!

if you do a search on this board you can find lots of posts regarding LaPaz and also the diving there.
Here is one of the best reports from a regular visitor:
http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=160864&highlight=jlyle
he was there last Sept I believe, but it will give you an idea of Club Cantamar and the diving in LaPaz.

we haven't been there yet but it is on our todo list.

robint

Thanks for the link. I thought I did a thorough search, but somehow I missed that one. Very informative.

Anyone has been to La Paz in early June can comment about conditions during that time of year?

Thanks!

We were in La Paz last August @ Club Cantamar (excellent operation, & fast boats), and the water temp was 85 degrees, a bit hot for my 3/2. June maybe cooler, but I would check their web-site. As for Hammer Heads they will take you out to El Bajo. In August we saw one, June maybe better with cooler water, but they will tell you the best sights are in Oct-Dec. One of the other treats we had on the two trips down to La Paz has been Whale Sharks, and a few Mantas. Club Cantamar owns a spotter plane and will send it up ahead of the boat, it's fantastic. Enjoy your trip.

I cannot recommend Club Cantamar highly enough. They are one of the best dive ops I have had the pleasure of diving with. Pedro and his team of divemasters will show you the best time, and the poolside bar after getting back to the club just can't be beat. It is about 30 minutes outside of town, so if you like nightlife, you may be disappointed - but I go on vacation to dive! I found the city to be pretty quiet - not like Cancun or Cabo.

Two pieces of advice: go across the bay one night to the restaurant. Great food. And do not miss going on a night dive. It was probably the highlight of my trip - and that was other than diving with the 12' hammerhead!

Pedro is here on the board under the name Cantamar. Send him a PM and tell him David from Pacific Wilderness recommended him. He will treat you great.

- David

A friend and I are headed to La Paz in June for some R&R. We're planning on staying at the La Concha resort - little closer to town, not so focused on diving (buddy not a diver).

If I were going just to dive - I'd stay at Club Cantamar for sure.

I'm trying to figure out how to deal with the heat... my Alaskan butt isn't going to handle 100 degree weather very well... or the 12 hour flight, heheh.

-Brandon

My husband & I are also going to La Paz for the first time in June (late). Some of my research led me to this website; the gentleman provides much detail on many places we've yet to visit, specifically though, he details 2 trips to La Paz.

Additional research that provided an awesome National Geographic video is cortezclub.com.

We went ahead and booked with LaConcha Resort and will prob'ly go ahead and dive with Cortez.

Since you're going in early June, please be sure to post when you return (only if it was Great ! - lol) and provide details !!

Have Fun !

I can highly recommend Club Cantamar: great service, entertaining Japanese divemasters, nice boats and facilities. We dove with them in Sept 2005 which was late in the season to see the hammerheads in El Bajo, but still managed to see one. Also did a great wreck dive (japanese freighter?) and whale shark snorkel. Going back for more this April.

Good luck,
Dave

Just wondering if anyone has any new info on LaPaz...(since the Feb & March postings)?

We ended up making our reservations to stay at LaConcha. Since Cortez Club appears to be on premise, we assumed that's who we'd dive with, but we were actually referred to Baja Diving & Services which appears to be the crew at Cantamar for which I've seen several good comments.

I'm so excited about the opportunity to dive with sea lions that I've told my husband to keep an eye on me to make sure I don't lose my regulator while grinnin' and gigglin' !!!:yl2jump: :yl2jump:

Again, just hoping for any new info since I'm getting very excited about going under again in....38 days....YAY !!

ThanX to All Ya'll...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom