Labor Day Weekend in La Bufadora

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

...One Baja trip without incident is not an indication that it won't ever happen to you. It's just one datapoint. If you continue to go down there, at some point you will encounter the criminal element, which may or may not be masquerading as the military/police/government agency. As it happens with greater frequency and your experiences become more colorful, you'll probably reconsider whether it's worth it or not to go down there. Our circle of friends has decided that there are adventures in other parts of the world that are more worthwhile. It's too bad. The diving there is great and not too far away, particularly if one lives in San Diego.
I travel to Tijuana many times a year for the last 15 years or so, all with no criminal experience. I have have to pay the mordita to avoid a ticket three times but avoided paying on many more occasions. I will going once more this weekend and I expect no real issue. Just to be fair, I never go into the tourist areas and never break Mexican law and spend most of my time in the very poor areas. I take reasonable precautions, the same I'd take going into any large city in the US.

I have dived LaBoof a few times and really enjoyed it, the people, the panga's and all!

One Baja trip without incident is not an indication that it won't ever happen to you. It's just one datapoint. If you continue to go down there, at some point you will encounter the criminal element, which may or may not be masquerading as the military/police/government agency. As it happens with greater frequency and your experiences become more colorful, you'll probably reconsider whether it's worth it or not to go down there. Our circle of friends has decided that there are adventures in other parts of the world that are more worthwhile. It's too bad. The diving there is great and not too far away, particularly if one lives in San Diego.

Having grown up in San Diego, I have visited and driven through Baja extensively (several dozen trips). I also have extended family members who work in TJ. I've personally never had problems, but I take reasonable precautions. I certainly don't doubt that issues arise, but I don't think they're as terribly common as some would make out either. Staying on the toll roads and large public streets during the day, traveling in groups, and trying to stay inconspicuous, certainly are all good tips.

A lot of important detail is now in danger of being lost as half-remembered...

At one time there were enough veterans still around who could remember those early days and were able to set the record straight, but no one really sat down and bothered to write it all down.... Time for me is running out very quickly and histories will be lost to all but well-intentioned speculation to I think, I heard, I suspose, I believe when everyone who hs experienced and knows for certain has passed on.

The torch of La Buffadora diving history has now been passed to your hands,

It's definitely great to be able to read about these past trips from the veteran La Bufadora divers. Thanks again for sharing some of your experiences with us!

What a great thread! Tnx Liger, DNS crew used to make a yearly trek to "Dales" and the adventure was always great. Launching your own Panga and diving deep and cold was always fun! Bringing back some of the biggest and best scallops and Lingcod from the eastern Pacific is awesome. I've shy'd away from Baja these last years and feel for Dale.

This report is inspirational!:cool2: I know Dale has a dinning establishment in another town, but I feel bad for not running down there to keep this unique dive Opp available.

Thanks, Don! Talking to Dale, business has definitely been off. A real shame given how good the diving, accommodations, and food/drink are down there. Hopefully the unrest will cease and more divers will again start making the trek south of the border.

I'm glad you guys had a good time! Thanks for posting your report.:D

Really appreciate it Dave! Reading reports of others' past trips (yourself included) was the motivator for us wanting to go.

More Ensenada memories, we used to go down to surf Scorpion Bay and K55, "Raul's" goat tacos were to die for:D One trip with my brother we were in line at the border return, about a 2 hour wait even way back when, I HAD to relive myself (to many cervezas) so we got under the bridge and I decided to jump out of the truck and hit the back side of the concrete over crossing, BAD idea! Within minutes I was under arrest and headed for the jail, in the back of a radio car, Really?? Somehow my Bro got outta the line and followed the cop car. At the Policia station entrance I managed to muster up enough Spanish to figure out they just wanted cash for my freedom, WTF?? So they took my last $50 and let me loose. Lesson learned!!

Down @ Dale"s there used to be a walk-to bar up the hill called Olivia's? At which there was Rattle Snake in a huge jar of Agave. A shot or two of "the brew" alwayz reminded us that what happens in La Buuf, stayz in La Buuf.

And... once while staying at Dale's in a tent, out in the lot, we got "shaken down" from locals for some strange lease agreement. We didn't argue, jus' paid the fee and carried on.

God bless our hard workin' and desperate Mexican bretheren, I'm DAMN glad and blessed to be born here.

A synopsis of travel warnings to Mexico

Travel Warning
U.S. DEPARTMENT OF STATE

The Department of State has issued this Travel Warning to inform U.S. citizens traveling to and living in Mexico about the security situation in Mexico. This Travel Warning supersedes the Travel Warning for Mexico dated September 10, 2010 to consolidate and update information about the security situation and to advise the public of additional restrictions on the travel of U.S. government personnel.

Millions of U.S. citizens safely visit Mexico each year, including more than 150,000 who cross the border every day for study, tourism or business and at least one million U.S. citizens who live in Mexico. The Mexican government makes a considerable effort to protect U.S. citizens and other visitors to major tourist destinations. Resort areas and tourist destinations in Mexico generally do not see the levels of drug-related violence and crime reported in the border region and in areas along major trafficking routes. Nevertheless, crime and violence are serious problems and can occur anywhere. While most victims of violence are Mexican citizens associated with criminal activity, the security situation poses serious risks for U.S. citizens as well.

It is imperative that you understand the risks involved in travel to Mexico and how best to avoid dangerous situations. Common-sense precautions such as visiting only legitimate business and tourist areas during daylight hours, and avoiding areas where criminal activity might occur, can help ensure that travel to Mexico is safe and enjoyable.

General Conditions
Since 2006, the Mexican government has engaged in an extensive effort to combat transnational criminal organizations (TCOs). The TCOs, meanwhile, have been engaged in a vicious struggle to control drug trafficking routes and other criminal activity. According to Government of Mexico figures, 34,612 people have been killed in narcotics-related violence in Mexico since December 2006. More than 15,000 narcotics-related homicides occurred in 2010, an increase of almost two-thirds compared to 2009. Most of those killed in narcotics-related violence since 2006 have been members of TCOs. However, innocent persons have also been killed as have Mexican law enforcement and military personnel.

There is no evidence that U.S. tourists have been targeted by criminal elements due to their citizenship. Nonetheless, while in Mexico you should be aware of your surroundings at all times and exercise particular caution in unfamiliar areas. Bystanders, including U.S. citizens, have been injured or killed in violent incidents in various parts of the country, especially, but not exclusively in the northern border region, demonstrating the heightened risk of violence throughout Mexico. TCOs, meanwhile, engage in a wide-range of criminal activities that can directly impact U.S. citizens, including kidnapping, armed car-jacking, and extortion that can directly impact U.S. citizens. The number of U.S. citizens reported to the Department of State as murdered in Mexico increased from 35 in 2007 to 111 in 2010.

The Mexican government has deployed federal police and military personnel throughout the country as part of its efforts to combat the TCOs. U.S. citizens traveling on Mexican roads and highways may encounter government checkpoints, which are often staffed by military personnel. You are advised to cooperate with personnel at government checkpoints and mobile military patrols. TCOs have erected their own unauthorized checkpoints, and killed or abducted motorists who have failed to stop at them.

Violence along Mexican roads and highways is a particular concern in the northern border region. As a result, effective July 15, 2010, the U.S. Mission in Mexico imposed restrictions on U.S. government employees' travel. U.S. government employees and their families are not permitted to drive from the U.S.-Mexico border to or from the interior of Mexico or Central America.

While violent incidents have occurred at all hours of the day and night on both modern toll ("cuotas") highways and on secondary roads, they have occurred most frequently at night and on isolated roads. To reduce risk, you are strongly urged to travel only during daylight hours throughout Mexico, to avoid isolated roads, and to use toll roads whenever possible.

Violence along the U.S. - Mexico Border
You should be especially aware of safety and security concerns when visiting the northern border states of Northern Baja California....

Much of the country's narcotics-related violence has occurred in the border region. More than a third of all U.S. citizens killed in Mexico in 2010 whose deaths were reported to the U.S. government were killed in the border cities of Ciudad Juarez and Tijuana.

Carjacking and highway robbery are serious problems in many parts of the border region and U.S. citizens have been murdered in such incidents. Most victims who complied with carjackers at these checkpoints have reported that they were not physically harmed. Incidents have occurred during the day and at night, and carjackers have used a variety of techniques, including bumping moving vehicles to force them to stop and running vehicles off the road at high speed. There are some indications that criminals have particularly targeted newer and larger vehicles with U.S. license plates, especially dark-colored SUVs. However, victims' vehicles have included those with both Mexican and American registration and vary in type from late model SUVs and pick-up trucks to old sedans.

Large firefights between rival TCOs or TCOs and Mexican authorities have taken place in towns and cities in many parts of Mexico, especially in the border region. Firefights have occurred in broad daylight on streets and in other public venues, such as restaurants and clubs. During some of these incidents, U.S. citizens have been trapped and temporarily prevented from leaving the area. The location and timing of future armed engagements cannot be predicted. You are urged to defer travel to those areas mentioned in this Travel Warning and to exercise extreme caution when traveling throughout the northern border region.

>>>> (Three years ago we had just entered Tijuana, Baja, proceeded over the overpass and was about 100 yards along the border fence heading towards the cuota road when a running fire fight erupted about 20 feet away at the side of the road. My wife was driving, she slamed on the brakes stopping immediately. As the fire fight sweep past us I covered her with my body. I had had loaded guns pointed at me during the unpleasantness called the Korean police action and had also been shot, I certainly didn't want my wife to have the same experience.

In a few moments the shooting stopped and the police walked by dragging and concurrently beating on the gunman . As they walked by the automobiles the drivers started their engines and raced out of the area. We. and about a half dozen others stopped at the AM/PM station before the cuota booth checked for bullet holes, leaking gas tanks and some soul seaching conversation--then away we went 500 miles south to Santa Rosalia for three weeks.
Never a dull moment in Baja! SDM

>>>>Northern Baja California: Targeted TCO assassinations continue to take place in Northern Baja California, including the city of Tijuana. You should exercise caution in this area, particularly at night..... turf battles between criminal groups proliferated and resulted in numerous assassinations in areas of Tijuana frequented by U.S. citizens. Shooting incidents, in which innocent bystanders have been injured, have occurred during daylight hours throughout the city. In one such incident, an American citizen was shot and seriously wounded.

(FOR THOSE FROM ARIZONA)>>>>>Nogales and Northern Sonora: You are advised to exercise caution in the city of Nogales. Northern Sonora is a key region in the international drug and human trafficking trades, and can be extremely dangerous for travelers. The U.S. Consulate requires that armored vehicles are used for official travel in the consular district of Nogales, including certain areas within the city of Nogales. The region west of Nogales, east of Sonoyta, and from Caborca north, including the towns of Saric, Tubutama and Altar, and the eastern edge of Sonora bordering Chihuahua, are known centers of illegal activity. You should defer non-essential travel to these areas.

(FOR THOSE FROM ARIZONA & CALIFORNIA)>>>>You are advised to exercise caution when visiting the coastal town of Puerto Peñasco. In the past year there have been multiple incidents of TCO-related violence, including the shooting of the city's police chief. U.S. citizens visiting Puerto Peñasco are urged to cross the border at Lukeville, AZ, to limit driving through Mexico and to limit travel to main roads during daylight hours.

>>>>(A part of my family settled in Dublan, Chihuahua in the late 1800s--they were forcefully expelled in 1911 by Pancho Villa's Army; all their assets were sized and never returned or were they compensated for their loss-A portion retuned repurchased their land and have prospered- but now 100 years later are facing an even greater threat ....This is just one of the many reasons I am interested in Mexico...sdm)

*** Ciudad Juarez and Chihuahua: The situation in the state of Chihuahua, specifically Ciudad Juarez, is of special concern. Ciudad Juarez has the highest murder rate in Mexico. Mexican authorities report that more than 3,100 people were killed in Ciudad Juarez in 2010. Three persons associated with the Consulate General were murdered in March, 2010. You should defer non-essential travel to Ciudad Juarez and to the Guadalupe Bravo area southeast of Ciudad Juarez. U.S. citizens should also defer non-essential travel to the northwest quarter of the state of Chihuahua. From the United States, these areas are often reached through the Columbus, NM, and Fabens and Fort Hancock, TX, ports-of-entry. In both areas, U.S. citizens have been victims of narcotics-related violence. There have been incidents of narcotics-related violence in the vicinity of the Copper Canyon in Chihuahua).

Highway robbery and carjacking are ongoing security concerns for travelers on the Mexican toll road Highway 15 in Sonora and on Maxipista Benito Juarez in Sinaloa. These highways are known to be particularly dangerous at night when roadside robberies occur. When traveling in Sinaloa, U.S. government employees are required to use armored vehicles and may only travel in daylight hours.

For the latest security information, U.S. citizens traveling abroad should regularly monitor the State Department's internet web site, where the current Worldwide Caution, Travel Warnings, and Travel Alerts can be found.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
This is a synopis of the offical US State Department warnings.

I have been visiting Baja and Mexico's mainland since December 1951, primarily for diving but also for exploration and high adventure, I certainly have not been disappointed.

It is not my intent to discourage travel to La Buffadora, but do travel with caution and recognize you are not in the US

sdm

Rainer,
My post were made not to discourage you from future Baja adventures, but to bring a wee bit of reality into focus.

Baja is a magical place, it will grab you and your sprit of adventure and never let go. There seemed to always be another place to explore just over the next hill, or around the next corner, in the next cove, or during the next trip.

In my 60 years of Baja fever (by gum it is almost 60 years-Dec 1951 was my first Baja trip) I have never been disappointed in Baja, I have been lost, frightened,sick, cold and very hot,sun burned and bug bit, but never disappointed.

A number of reasons prohibit me from visiting Baja again,but for a brief moment when I read your post I was transported to the distant past and my adventure which I posted.

You are young and have the sprit of adventure. Baja is your oyster, open it with caution and enjoy every future trip to the fullest.

Via con Dios,

SDM

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom