Lack of response from Hollis and Oceanic

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Although I do concede your point about choosing another company to purchase my PDC from. And I'm glad that you had a good experience with their customer service. I sincerely hope that my experience is the exception

You decided to exchange your perfectly good Geo 2 for an OCi at a particularly difficult time when Huish bought Oceanic and Hollis. Why did you do this, for the AI? This was an elective exchange, I'm surprised you think that it will occur very quickly when the Oceanic supplies seem to be at a low point after the acquisition.

Not exactly- I was doing a dive with some people from my college club a few hours from campus and we decided to camp the weekend and get a few extra dives in. I placed my computer in the truck bed just before I went to bed (away from weights, tanks and anything that might damage it) and in the morning I found it with a crack in the screen. I knew it was going to be a while for the replacement due to the acquisition and the trade-in program adding extra time, but I have received multiple dates on when it should arrive, some that have come and gone and others that have yet to come...and it seems like the previous rep was always misinformed... I'm well aware that it wasn't going to be a quick turn around, but I wasn't expecting this amount of misinformation from their customer service representatives and false information. That is why I am frustrated, not solely due to the time its taking for my order to be fulfilled, but the lack of communication and the staggering amount of false information ive been given.
I'm well aware that its going to take time, but there is a difference between hearing that my order is going to take 2 months to arrive and being told every week for 2 months that my order is arriving next week.

I think @Cr.padlo's response is relevant to the OP's question and concerns. The OP has been waiting 3 months for their replacement dive computer to be sent. Based on CR's experience, it seems like he's not the only one with issues in trying to receive a dive computer or in trying to communicate with them on what the ETA is. I am not detecting any sense of entitlement from his post which would warrant any suggestion that he is young and thinks the world revolves around him.

Companies merging are not usually a seamless process and the trade-in isn't happening at an ideal time. It's a reasonable explanation for the frustration; however, I don't think expecting better communication and correct/consistent information is unreasonable.

About 2 years ago, I was interested in an OCi as well when I was doing research on dive computers. I am located in the San Francisco Bay Area, a hop skip and a jump away from their worldwide headquarters and this was prior to the acquisition. I had a question about the product and was very close to purchasing and I called 3-4 times and e-mailed 2 times and did not get a single answer. If this was how I felt as a potential customer, what would it feel like to be a customer needing help after having paid hundreds of dollars for their product? I wrote the product off despite what good things other users and reviews had to say and I went with something else. My personal experience, even being in the same time zone, in the same metro region as their headquarters, was terrible.

Positive experiences with companies are generally welcome on this board; under the same light, it should only be fair that negative experiences with companies are welcome as well, especially when there is no slander or libel in it but personal experiences. People can draw from what they read as they will.

No objection whatsoever. I've had good service experience with Oceanic since 2002. Your experience may vary and you should do what you see fit. I have found Oceanic to be very responsive, your experience may be different. To each their own.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom