Lake Allatoona diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Backwoodsdiver

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I'll be at Lake Allatoona next weekend (April 22-23) and was wondering if there were any areas up there to dive.

Thanks,
Randy

Unfortunately with allatoona they dam it up during the winter and then let it back up in the spring. From what I have seen it is nothing but mud/clay colored. I doubt there is more than 6" viz. I have heard in the later summer months once it has settled down you can dive it up near red top mountain and the dam.

Matt

Corigan:
Unfortunately with allatoona they dam it up during the winter and then let it back up in the spring. From what I have seen it is nothing but mud/clay colored. I doubt there is more than 6" viz. I have heard in the later summer months once it has settled down you can dive it up near red top mountain and the dam.

Matt
Up near the dam during the late summer with no rain and during the week there will be up to 10' of viz especially if you get down deep. Right now you'd be lucky to see your gauges in front of your mask.

I've dived at Red Top Mountain in the mid to late summer and the visibility was astounding!!!! Never dived up there this time of the year.

Found a nice anchor up there once. Still have it.

Backwoodsdiver:
Thanks for the information. I guess I won't be diving that weekend.
Could always try to make a jaunt up to Lake Lanier to do some diving. It's about an hr each way from allatoona. Of course that is if time permits in your schedule.

Unfortunately I live right on lake allatoona. I can make a 5 minute hike through the woods and hit the lake. Unforutnate that they dam it up and make it a mudhole 5/6th's of the year. Would be great to be able to dive it year around since it's in my backyard.

Matt

Hey, Matt,
I'm just about through with your STA. Had a little setback today. The lathe we have here at work won't chuck up anything less than .625" diameter.
Now I've got to come up with a different way to turn down the heads of the stainless steel bolts.
It's going to be 2 pieces. Each is shaped like a very flat "U" and is slightly under 8.00" inside diameter. The will bolt through the grommets on your wing and B/P. They're rectangular in shape and are 3 inches high with a chordal width of approxiimately 4.250". You should be able to use 7.25 inch tanks with them, also.
I'll have the problem resolved by next weekend.

the K

Thanks. What are some good areas to dive on Lake Lanier? Do you know of anyone that will be diving up there next weekend I could meet up with to show me around?

Thanks again,
Randy

The Kraken:
Hey, Matt,
I'm just about through with your STA. Had a little setback today. The lathe we have here at work won't chuck up anything less than .625" diameter.
Now I've got to come up with a different way to turn down the heads of the stainless steel bolts.
It's going to be 2 pieces. Each is shaped like a very flat "U" and is slightly under 8.00" inside diameter. The will bolt through the grommets on your wing and B/P. They're rectangular in shape and are 3 inches high with a chordal width of approxiimately 4.250". You should be able to use 7.25 inch tanks with them, also.
I'll have the problem resolved by next weekend.
Awwe yeah, looking forward to seeing the final product. Thanks a ton K. I might be out doing my rescue course next weekend but we shall see. Thanks for thinking ahead, I sometimes dive with my AL80's. Ever thought about making doubles bands? :p

Backwoodsdiver: West Bank Park at Lanier is one of the easier places to shore dive. Plenty of different coves to choose from, and the viz is usually in the 15-20' range. It costs $4 a car to get into the park. I would come out and show you the site, but I am supposed to be in NFL taking my rescue course the weekend of the 22nd. Usually it isn't hard to find someone to dive out there with you though. I would suggest making a seperate thread asking for buddies at lanier for next week, you might have some luck finding someone who isn't already out of town that is looking to dive. Temps were 49-50F at depth and 60F on the surface last week. There was a thermocline though that you could stay above to stay warmer. A group is going out there this weekend so hopefully there will be some good news that the lake has warmed up a few more degrees. If my rescue class is cancelled for some reason, I will come out and dive with you.

Matt

If you've got access to a boat, Illinois Creek (on the Bartow/Cherokee line) is usually pretty good, for Allatoona. Bottom ranges from 20-30; vis 5' to 10'; lots of anchors, chairs, glasses, beer cans. Found a mask there once. It dives ok. If diving in Allatoona, TAKE A FLAG and stay near it. Had a kid messed up on the lake last weekend. Leo.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom