Lake Anna, Virginia

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wheatondiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
The Washington Post had an article in the Metro section today (11/28/07) about the warmside and warm water discharge in the main lake. Here is the link washingtonpost.com

I hope it works.

I checked past posts, but have not found out if anyone dives in the lake. A buddy's parents live there year-round now that they are retired. It is near a spot called "Brent's Landing", which was an honor system boat launch.

A member of our dive club is a public safety diver for Prince George's County and he mentioned he dove on the warmside for a training session earlier this year. He said it was very warm.

Is diving allowed in Lake Anna?

Is there anything to see?

I'm not sure if diving is permitted...but there are an awful lot of boats on Lake Anna (in the summer at least). There is a place in WV (Mt. Storm I think) that is also supposed to be warm(er) for the same reason Lake Anna is. That is a popular dive spot and I don't think boats are permitted there.

I am a PSD in central VA and we were involved in a recovery in Lake Anna in September of this year on the warm side of the lake.

My max depth was 15 feet, Viz 0-1, Water T was around the Mid 70's. Lots of trash and entanglements, especially near the bridges. We utilized Public Safety Vessels (Police, Fire and Rescue) to keep boat traffic out of our area of operation.

For what it counts, I would not dive there recreationally.

Feel free to message me if you want additional info.

I'm not sure if diving is permitted...but there are an awful lot of boats on Lake Anna (in the summer at least). There is a place in WV (Mt. Storm I think) that is also supposed to be warm(er) for the same reason Lake Anna is. That is a popular dive spot and I don't think boats are permitted there.

Will be there tomorrow! Yes, boating is allowed and the temps usually stay in the 60's in the winter, depending on how much the power plant runs. Can get to the 90's in the summer. Vis 10-20 feet

It has been a couple of years since I checked out Lake Anna as a dive spot...I am more focused on fishing at LA....but once I brought my gear and did a dive from my boat near the main dam area. This was in the summer and the temps were comfortable, vis about 15+. Bottom is mostly mud/silt/weed and at the dam face sloped rock. Based on the heavy fishing here (boat traffic, old fishing line & hooks) I did not try to dive any of the other areas. Water traffic (fishboats, skiers, jet skis and even a plane landing/takeoff) are a real potential hazard here. During this test dive, with the dive flag flying, I had a older fisherman drive his boat within 15' of mine to ask my wife who was just going in "is that a dive flag?"

To my best knowledge: There is no established "dive area" with any sort of submerged items of interest at the lake. That being said, there are not any restrictions that I am aware of (I still fish there often), except I would not of course try diving around the nuc. power plant or the powerlines that cross the lake and would try to find an area away from fishing locations. If you just wanted a nearby lake area to perhaps train/drill...I could see doing it up near the dam face. My experience diving/fishing is that the vis is best near the dam end of the lake. I do not know winter water temps...but it ain't as hot as Mt. Storm.

Have fun

Frank

except I would not of course try diving around the nuc. power plant or the powerlines that cross the lake and would try to find an area away from fishing locations.

Whoa! Are there live electrical lines under the water?

Frank W:
If you just wanted a nearby lake area to perhaps train/drill...I could see doing it up near the dam face.

Isn't that like crazy-dangerous? I don't know a lot about dams, but isn't there a lot of machinery near there to suck in water? This sort of thing really freaks me out...

I have dove Anna and the viz varies. I have seen 10 foot viz but the diving I do is looking for bodies and evidence so we silt up everything on our search patters. Not much to see at Anna. No sunken towns, mud bottom common to many man-made lakes. There is a sunken quarry in the lake I have been in where you can get some depth but in the summer months the place is crazy with boaters who WILL run all over you. In my opinion, not worth diving. It is warmer on the hot side of the lake, of course.

fwiw, apparently there is a demand for recovery by the boaters for all their lost items. One of the locals found out I was certified and offered me $$ to find lost glasses. I declined the offer, btw. Another diver in the area told me he was paid $200 to get a fishing pole worth some multiple of that. In both cases the boaters knew the coordinates where they lost the item. Could be easy $ for someone, not me. :D

The Lake Anna dam is a fixed spillway type; no underwater intake. I dove well away from the spillway area. There is over 100 yards+ to either side offering a nice sloped rock surface. I did dive from a boat...I do not know if there is access by other means (parking close and walking in). As far as the power lines...they are overhead; my comment about not diving in that area pertains to the nuc. plant security...there is nothing there to see, and why set yourself up for a visit/boarding by the authorities.

Frank

Ahh! Whew. Ok, that makes more sense :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom