Lake Cleanup

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MnLakeDiver

Contributor
Reaction score
:help: The Jaycees of my city came to me because I am a Cubmaster and Diver. They want to sponsor a lake cleanup project in buffalo lake. Any Ideas on how to arrange this and make it fun for the particapints would be great. also any warnings to help avoid problems would also be appreciated.
We would like to do it at the end of June to coincide with "Buffalo Days" our local reson to sit in the park and drink beer.

Beer always is a good attractor, at least for me. You might want to send an e-mail to the person running the Minneapolis Hammerheads group, Nicole Linder, through www.h-heads.com. We did a lake cleanup last year and it is a reasonably large group of divers. Buffalo may be a bit far for some of the members on the east side of the cities, but there are a batch of us on the west side. Additionally, post it in the local dive shops.

One setup that worked well for the cleanup last year was to use a reel on a float and hook the clip of the reel to the handle of a 5 gallon bucket. It is lot easier than hauling around a mesh bag full of junk.

If the Jaycees are asking, get them to spring for a bit of grilled dead animal after the diving.

One other thing, beer is a good idea.

JoelW

I have friends near Minneapolis that we haven't seen in years. Might be fun to combine a visit with them and a lake clean-up. Remember - I'm a newbie, so let me know if this is something I shouldn't be getting into!

Others on this board might have friends in the area and want to participate....

Scuba-sass :)

Buffalo is aprox 35 miles wast of Minnieapolis. I am a Newbie also. I was thinking of a morning clean and possably an evining fundive then pig roast and beer. hoping local hotel will offer discounts to divers for weekend and also droping sponcerd medalians good for prizes from local merchants.

What's the vis typically like in that lake in June? I'm planning on doing a lot of diving come spring. I've only dove a few lakes so far (Square, Whitebear, and Johanna) and am anxious to dive new lakes.:)

Send along a Private Message when you make deffinate plans. I'll see if we can travel out there to clean-up and visit friends.

Good Luck!

Scuba-sass

One good idea is making it a family activity. While mom and dad are diving, have the kids clean the beach and area around the lake. Offer small prizes for the amount of trash collected by the kids..the weirdest item found, biggest item..etc.

I the vis good enough for snorkeling? If so, the non-diver's can clean up the shallow areas.

Giving a free t-shirt to whoever participates is a good idea, if you can afford it. See if you can get a good deal from a local printing shop for "The First Annual Lake Cleanup"..that way everybody gets something.

Don't forget to separate the trash after it is collected so you get get something back for the recycleable stuff. Sorting is also is good for finding any living critters that could be saved. We have a major beach and reef cleaning thing every year, and we find some WEIRD stuff! (microwave, full transmission..minus the car, Hello Kitty piano..coral incrusted..but still worked!)

Remember though, if it is embedded or inhabited, it isn't junk anymore..it has become part of their home.

Hope this helps!

Kudos to you and the Jaycees! Sounds like a great idea. I would definitely participate in something like that in my area.
A post dive BBQ and beer would top off the day!

Back
Top Bottom