Great Lakes Diving Tour in a week

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'd spend the entire time in Tobermory. You need way more than a weekend there, there's more than 20 wrecks to dive. 1 visit isn't going to do it.
The issue with that is unlike the Keys, charters only go out on the weekend, so at best I can only get 2 dives a day. Wanting to complete my Great Lakes circuit, diving Lake Ontario on one of those weekends is a must for next year.

Condolences to any Lions fans, was rooting for you all, almost pulled it out. It was a good year for you all, remarkable to say the least.

I’m used to Alpena and the Straits area. If you don’t book in January-March, you will have a hard time finding anything affordable. If there’s anything available last minute, you’ll pay through the nose. People who are incapable of planning ahead shouldn’t even bother diving the Great Lakes.
Yeah, I booked my trips for July last week. With so much demand I am surprised there are not more charters available.

Yeah, I booked my trips for July last week. With so much demand I am surprised there are not more charters available.
There is demand, but it isn't easy work. Especially with the insurance costs these days.
You have a four month season and 12 months of expenses.

There is demand, but it isn't easy work. Especially with the insurance costs these days.
You have a four month season and 12 months of expenses.
Ah, and with it being a 4 month season I just realized that the lakes freeze over and from watching Deadliest Catch I'm assuming there's ice flows, which can damage your hulls. Didn't think about that, thanks for the enlightenment.

Just returned from the lake doing buoyancy checks and cold water dives in preparation for ice diving in February and for my upcoming Great Lakes trips in July. After diving Ice last year I knew I needed better thermal protection so I bought a DUI DUIXM450 in 3XL. When it came in it fit fine but my mistake was not trying it on with my dry suit.

So fast forward to today, I am struggling to put on my dry suit because the 450 was so big. So after much effort I finally get suited up and away I go. I knew something was wrong when surface swimming to the first buoy, my legs kept floating up. (I DID squat and squeezed out the air in the dry suit prior to entering the water.) So while I am at the buoy I dumped my air, exhaled, didn't sink.

I then decided to swim down hoping I could get down,...only got 10ft before shooting back up. I swam back to shore, went back to my truck and changed out the undergarment for the sweats I was wearing while driving down. It was much easier getting dressed and my dive went better. So this is why you practice dive before trips AND when trying out new gear!

All that being said, since you guys have been helpful I'm going to post it here first before I go to the classifieds. I'm getting rid of my DUI DUIXM450 under garment in 3XL. Today is the first time I used it and it's not even a year old yet. Paid $550, asking $400, DM me if interested.

I think I may get a heated vest but that being said what are your recommendations for undergarments for diving Great Lakes/Cold Water.

Thanks!

... I am struggling to put on my dry suit because the 450 was so big. ...
@Tigerpaw,

By "so big", do you mean "too thick" (i.e., you probably would prefer the thickness of an XM250 rather than the thickness of an XM450)? Or do you mean "wrong size" (i.e., a 2XL would have fit better than a 3XL)? Some other meaning?

rx7diver

It all depends on cold tolerance. I have high cold tolerance.

I have a DUI DuoTherm 300. Double layer fleece onesie. Three years old and still going strong. It had a custom option so for once I have undies that really fit well. I wear thin polypro under. Socks are Fourth Element Hot Foot with silk liners under. Fourth Element fleece glove liners under dry gloves. Waterproof 7mm hood. I do have a Thermolution heated vest for when it’s really cold.

@Tigerpaw,

By "so big", do you mean "too thick" (i.e., you probably would prefer the thickness of an XM250 rather than the thickness of an XM450)? Or do you mean "wrong size" (i.e., a 2XL would have fit better than a 3XL)? Some other meaning?

rx7diver
Wrong size, I believe a 1XL or 2XL would have been better. I bought the 450 because it was rated at low temps suited for ice diving. Since I've had it close to a year, I can't exchange it.

Wrong size, I believe a 1XL or 2XL would have been better. I bought the 450 because it was rated at low temps suited for ice diving. Since I've had it close to a year, I can't exchange it.
Actually, this is the better "problem" to have, probably! Have you considered taking it to a tailor/dressmaker/seamstress to have it altered for you? Be careful, though: Have it altered to allow room for a thicker polypro underlayer--just in case you should decide that you want to wear one. And don't "cut" in a way that compromises your range of motion (e.g., your ability to reach your valves) when you're dressed in your complete suit).

rx7diver

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom