Lake Cumberland Diving Conditions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dacor1

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
WOW!! We went diving at the UPPER end (Somerset side) of Lake Cumberland today and the visibility was EXCELLENT! Visibility at 20 ft. was a solid 20 ft. This was very shocking to me as normally the vis is not so pleasant at the upper end. The lower end yes but not the upper end as a rule. The surprising part is that the great vis is ABOVE the thermocline. Below the thermocline we have come to expect, but above it was awesome today. KROBI get your gear ready for Thursday. Bring your camera because there are bass all over the place at this site! Some nice bass in the 5-7lb range.

I'm probably going to be in Corbin for the weekend and am trying to work out a dive while I'm there. I was thinking about Laurel Lake but Cumberland would be OK too. Which one would be better in your opinion? Any sites at either one you could reccomend. I was originally just thinking about going to the beach area at Laurel dam.

Thanks,

John

jpsexton:
I'm probably going to be in Corbin for the weekend and am trying to work out a dive while I'm there. I was thinking about Laurel Lake but Cumberland would be OK too. Which one would be better in your opinion? Any sites at either one you could reccomend. I was originally just thinking about going to the beach area at Laurel dam.

Thanks,

John
The beach area by the dam at laurel lake is normally considered a decent dive site. I normally dive in Lake Cumberland up through the middle of July. I then dive Laurel Lake from mid July on through the season. I don't know if it was the lack of rain this spring, or boats, or whatever but I've spent the whole season diving Lake Cumberland. I like the bass and catfish better in L.C. In my book there's nothing like diving with a whole bunch of fish.

Dacor1:
WOW!! We went diving at the UPPER end (Somerset side) of Lake Cumberland today and the visibility was EXCELLENT! Visibility at 20 ft. was a solid 20 ft. This was very shocking to me as normally the vis is not so pleasant at the upper end. The lower end yes but not the upper end as a rule. The surprising part is that the great vis is ABOVE the thermocline. Below the thermocline we have come to expect, but above it was awesome today. KROBI get your gear ready for Thursday. Bring your camera because there are bass all over the place at this site! Some nice bass in the 5-7lb range.
What time??

Dacor1:
WOW!! We went diving at the UPPER end (Somerset side) of Lake Cumberland today and the visibility was EXCELLENT! ... KROBI get your gear ready for Thursday. Bring your camera because there are bass all over the place at this site! Some nice bass in the 5-7lb range.
If only I wasnt 890 miles away or I didnt have commitments this weekend. :)

Willie

wet-willie:
If only I wasnt 890 miles away or I didnt have commitments this weekend. :)

Willie
Sorry wet-willie, you missed a great day of diving today! The first dive was at the upper end of the lake. KROBI and Grant stepped up for some volunteer work (lost wallet, lantern and flashlight on a sunk bass boat that went down on Sunday). Located the lantern for the guy but no luck on the wallet. Visibility down from four days ago, but fish still in area.
Second dive after lunch moved down into the Jabez area and visibility greatly improved to around 15 ft. KROBI can now verify the very large bass in that part of Lake Cumberland. Time to fill the tanks and go back out!

Dacor1:
Sorry wet-willie, you missed a great day of diving today!
Congrats and thanks for the report. I am in Waco, TX but I lived in KY for 6 years -- Jan 1977-Jan 1979, May 1981-Aug 1985. I love it there. I did a lot of camping around the state while I was there. I really enjoyed the Cumberland Gap area. Went to Laurel Lake one time, very pretty. Never got to Lake Cumberland though. How long can you dive there before it gets too cold?

Willie

wet-willie:
Congrats and thanks for the report. I am in Waco, TX but I lived in KY for 6 years -- Jan 1977-Jan 1979, May 1981-Aug 1985. I love it there. I did a lot of camping around the state while I was there. I really enjoyed the Cumberland Gap area. Went to Laurel Lake one time, very pretty. Never got to Lake Cumberland though. How long can you dive there before it gets too cold?

Willie
The surface temp and down to 30 ft. is currently 75 degrees. Our night-time lows are starting to drop into the 40's and 50's. October diving will be strong in Lake Cumberland because of the increased visibility(less algae growth, decreased boat traffic, etc.). Also, due to the corp of engineers lowerering the lake level as they do every year, dive sites that were inaccesible are now accesible! However, By the first week of November divers without drysuits are normally out of the water. Divers with drysuits stay in until the lake rolls over and the visibility goes to zero sometime in November.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom