Lake Erie Wreck Dives 18 & 19 August 2007

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mrs.Prages

Contributor
Reaction score
4 really great dives in lake Erie this weekend. Went with a group of 13 other tech divers, I don't know what they were thinking letting Hubby and I come along. The boat was so organized and the divers worked so well together. I would have to say it was one of the best charters I have ever been on in how neat and tidy everything was and how smoothly everything flowed from gear up to splash in, to unload. I would definitely recommend Osprey Dive Center out of Barcelona NY for any of these great wreck dives. They are very pleasant and good at what they do.

Saturday, 18 August 2007:

Dive 1 - John J. Boland - Steel bullk freighter, sunk in 1932. Max depth 120' feet 29% nitrox mix. Waves were very calm at 1-3 feet and a light wind. Very little current on this dive (although I am told that sometimes this one does have a touch more curent). This was a great dive and a great introduction to the Lakes. The wreck is in great condition and has held up well over the years. It is lying on its side and is covered in mussels and other tiny fish as well as large guardian catfish. The water was cold in 42 at the bottom. The thermocline kicks in hard at about 60 feet and I wouldn't recommend these dives for wetsuit divers. I was wearing 7 mil wet gloves and my hands were stinging by the end of the dives. I can't imagine what a wetsuit would be like and then not having any chance to really warm up after each dive. Viz was probably around 60 feet or so. Definitely want to have lights with you. The sun doesn't break through the silt cloud at the thermocline very well, so all of these wrecks were rather like dusk dives. It leant a neat air to each dive.

Dive 2 - Dean Richmond - 238' steel over wood freighter sunk in 1893. Max depth 112' . Waters were calm and there was a very slight current. This was an awesome wreck. I love the wooden wrecks. THey are so well preserved and the wood planks are pealed up in some places allowing for small homes for small creatures. so many little nooks and crannies to peak into on this one. Some larger holes for getting really good peaks at the inner workings were there due to treasure hunters who believed sh went down carrying gold, only to be disappointed in the false rumours. Temps were about the same at 42 in the depths and warming up to the high 60s above the thermocline. Coming back up was like going from an ice bath to a hot tub above 60 feet.

Day two

Dive 1 - Trade Wind - 140' three masted bark. Sunk in 1854. Max depth 115' viz in the 40- 50' range. The weather was a little friskier and overcast. small whitecaps on the waves, but not really very bad conditions, compared to a day in NC it was quite a calm ride. This was a very nice wreck once again the wood is so well preserved and the masts make great little side trips. The mussel encrusted wheel is quite a sight. WIth the overcast sky the wrecks were even darker and the dives became much more like early evening dives. Once again it leant that very cool air to the dives.

Dive 2 - The Crystal - 117' 3 masted schooner a Lake Erie Mystery ship. She is thought to be called the Crystal after the beer the first divers who found her were drinking at the time. Max depth 117'. She's a beautiful wreck draped in snagged fishing netting, almost like jewelry encrusted with mussels. She's got lots of nice little nooks and crannies and the masts are really cool to see looming off into the distance. The current picked up some on this dive as the winds and rain started to move in, but still not a bad day on and in the water.

If you haven't done any of the Great Lakes wrecks and you are properly equipped for these deep COLD dives then I suggest you try them. They are beautiful and eery, and while the warmth and colors of the Ocean have strong appeal, these wrecks have a call all their own, and I can't wait to get back out there and explore them some more.

Great report! Man I love the Great Lakes wrecks. I've now added a trip up to Lake Erie to my list of GL wreck diving locations to hit in the future. Is Barcelona SW of Buffalo? I used to live in Rochester NY but I'm more familiar with the Lake Ontario area.

Yes Barcelona is SW. probably about 50 miles or so down I-90? from Buffalo.

I would highly recommend www.osprey-dive.com. They were really great and the boat had a nice warm cabin to get in out of the wind and a very clean head. This matters a lot as I don't have the right equipment for a pee-valve. :D

Back
Top Bottom