Lake Jocassee Dive on CNN

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Backscatter

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I've never watched the show before, but I saw a promo for 'News To Me' on CNN and there was a teaser for a story on a woman trying to locate her family home in what is now Lake Jocassee. The teaser show dive footage, including the cemetary and submerged trees, and promises "a miraculous discovery".

The show is on Saturday and Sunday at 7:30 pm, 9:30 pm, 12:30 am, and 5:30 am on HLN (formerly CNN2).

Anybody know anything about the piece?

That would be Jocassee girl on here,There were some tech divers that did a dive on the lodge her family owned at a depth of 300 ft.I did not know it was filmed,will have to watch,hopefully she will see this thread and can give you more info.

Thanks, it would have surprised me if if wasn't someone who was on SB. I'll send her a pm and see if she can give us some more information. I look forward to seeing the story.

Hey, guys! Yes, it's me and Bill Routh. Here are the details about the show. I just saw Bill on a teaser ad, too! This is very exciting for us. I hope it's a good show and does "my divers" proud! Thanks for your interest and for asking!!

Hi Debbie,

Thanks for your help with that photo earlier today.

I'm sure Mike Kane has kept you up to speed but I wanted to write and just make sure you had all the info about the show this weekend. Your story will be featured on “News To Me” this weekend!

“News To Me” airs on HLN (formerly CNN Headline News - the Nancy Grace channel, not the Wolf Blitzer channel). It premieres at 7:30pm on Saturday and then replays 7 more times over the weekend: Saturday at 9:30pm; Sunday at 12:30am, 5:30am, 7:30pm and 9:30pm; Monday at 12:30am and 5:30am. Those are all Eastern Time Zone times.

I'm attaching a picture you may feel free to use on your website(s), facebook, email, billboard, blimp, etc., to promote your appearance on "News To Me." Spread the word!

When linking to the "News To Me" homepage please use the following URL: Show Pages - News To Me - CNN.com.

Thanks for being part of the show!

-Best,
-Grayson

Thanks Debbie, that's very cool! I will definitely tune in.

When was it filmed?

Bill and I interviewed with CNN about a month ago (we had 2 separate interviews, so we weren't together during the interview). Bill supplied some dive footage, they took some dive footage off my website (courtesy of WSPA in Spartanburg), and I gave them lots of old Jocassee photographs, as well as more recent photographs of the divers, taken by my husband, who is a professional photographer. It has been a lot of fun, and they have been the nicest people to deal with. They will provide me with a high resolution copy of the show, so I will have that on my website. Also, it will be on cnn.com's archives for who knows how long.

Debbie, what is the general condtion of the structure? I haven't watched everything on your site yet, but what from what I've seen its difficult to get a sense of it.

Does what is left consist mainly of the frame, or does some or all of the siding and roof remain intact?

We've done approximately 12 dives on the Lodge, but with very limited lighting and only 20 minutes of bottom time, it's been very difficult to get good footage. Hopefully, someone with some better equipment will see the CNN piece and want to help out. The lodge consisted of a main house, with a large addition added on the back later. We THINK that the main house is on her side - not caved in, but much like a box that has been knocked over. We think that because we have seen floor joists. Part of the roof on the back is blown off. When the lodge was deserted, but was still accessible, someone took the staircase out, and much of the tin was stripped off the roof. The best footage we have is on my website of the first dive. Bill has a couple of other footages that I have not seen yet - we've seen what appears to be a set of stairs (that has to be the switchbacks on the back of the house up to the attic), and we've clearly seen a couple of closed doors. It's going to take years to piece things together, unless someone with a remote rover takes interest in it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom