Lake Jocassee update

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

During our SI there was a dive class in the water and I assume they contributed to the bad vis conditions at depth. Granted I have seen an AOW diver kick up the largest silt cloud I have seen at a depth of 90 ft, but is there really a reason to pass people who cannot hold their buoyancy?

:shakehead: This is one of the reasons I am working to become an instructor. There is no reason for students not to have been taught correctly...outside of lazy instructors and low standards. If you want to read my thoughts on this or other I agree with, Look for posts on "Philosophy of Diver Training" in my posts.

:focus:

:shakehead: This is one of the reasons I am working to become an instructor. There is no reason for students not to have been taught correctly...outside of lazy instructors and low standards. If you want to read my thoughts on this or other I agree with, Look for posts on "Philosophy of Diver Training" in my posts.

:focus:

I modified my post, as the AOW diver I am referring to was having issues related to new equipment and a bit of narcosis which was preventing them from becoming buoyant, which led to a struggle to get buoyant, resulting in a cloud of silt. My intent was to say that due to certain circumstances I have seen a good diver kick up silt; but what I see at Jocassee is clouds of silt due to dive classes with poor buoyancy control and due to people who are certified but have no buoyancy control (ie the college students).

At first I didn't have PERFECT buoyancy control, but my first post-OW cert dives I was able to dive Lake Lanier without silting up the place, so I believe that same expectation should apply to anyone who is given a c-card.

The deeper water is so much nicer though, QUOTE]

Yeah, I should have followed you guys.

You were more than welcome to, but of course you wouldn't have known that as we didn't meet up on the surface we had splashed before you. We should have hit the boat and trampoline first, and then hit up the cove. What size tank were you diving?

photos

Attachments

• PICT0072.jpg
    PICT0072.jpg
    316.1 KB · Views: 115
  • PICT0073.jpg
    PICT0073.jpg
    279.3 KB · Views: 212
  • PICT0074.JPG
    PICT0074.JPG
    274.6 KB · Views: 128
  • PICT0056.JPG
    PICT0056.JPG
    267.9 KB · Views: 90
Last edited:
At first I didn't have PERFECT buoyancy control, but my first post-OW cert dives I was able to dive Lake Lanier without silting up the place, so I believe that same expectation should apply to anyone who is given a c-card.

Um, yeah . . . but buoyancy control takes practice. Just because you get certified doesn't mean that you have it altogether right away. As my instructor said, "Getting certified is much like getting your learner's permit. You have the skills you need to learn to be a good diver, but it still takes practice."

Um, yeah . . . but buoyancy control takes practice. Just because you get certified doesn't mean that you have it altogether right away. As my instructor said, "Getting certified is much like getting your learner's permit. You have the skills you need to learn to be a good diver, but it still takes practice."

Getting certified as an Open Water Diver is akin to getting your driver's license, not your learning permit. Getting certified with the PADI SCUBA DIVER certification would be equivalent to learner's permit. Additionally there is a difference between NOT having it altogether right away and bouncing off of the bottom kicking up a huge cloud of silt throughout the entire dive.

I agree with your assessment that it is more like obtaining a learner's permit - 5 pool sessions and 4-5 ow dives regardless of the agency does not translate into expert bouyancy control, not even good bouyancy control for many. Wasn't there the day of the dive in question so cannot speak as to the degree of or lack of bouyancy control by those in question. I do not teach OW as much as I used to (by preference), but so many folks I teach (AOW, specialties, etc) still struggle with bouyancy control. More often than not, it is due to overweighting. I've taken to teaching the peak performance bouyancy elective for those struggling as the first part of the AOW and it makes life easier.

BTW, been on Bill's boat lately? Enjoyed hearing your story about the lodge on the one trip we were on with you. Nice to hear it from someone who has real experience with the lodge from the pre-u/w days.

Do any of you know what the water temp. was at 100ft.?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom