Lake Ouachita Jellyfish

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

chuck41

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Today I saw a jellyfish. Right here in Arkansas and it was swimming around apparently quite happily. I had heard other people say they had heard that there were jellyfish in the lake, but after several years diving here I had never seen one until now.

Now I know seeing a jellyfish is no big deal to you guys down on the ocean, but here we are 400 miles from salt water. Even a little one is quite unusual.

The motor broke and would only go in reverse and it will have to go to the shop tomorrow. (I had to run the boat backwards three miles to get back to the ramp) My dive buddy lost his glasses, the spearfishing was lousy, but what the heck. At least I saw a jellyfish! (A bad day at the lake is still better than a good day at work) :D

Little jellyfish about the size of a dime?

We have those at a few of the quarries in central and north AL. They definately look alien taking into account they're in a closed off freshwater habitat!

I saw one last year at Beaver Lake, AR...Everyone thought I had gone nuts!

Beautiful little folks, the freshwater "jellyfish" (Craspedacusta sowerbyi) is actually a hydrozoan medusa (kin to the fire coral and the Portugese man-o-war) rather than a "true" jellyfish. They aren't exactly uncommon, but their appearance is sporadic. The animal spends most of its life as a polyp attached to the bottom and produces the medusa irregularly.
I love finding one in the lake... makes the dive special.
Rick :)

I was always under the impression that a jellyfish found in freshwater was stingless. Is that just in Palau, or does that apply everywhere?

ScubaTexan:
I was always under the impression that a jellyfish found in freshwater was stingless. Is that just in Palau, or does that apply everywhere?
The Palau "freshwater" jellies are real jellies that came from the sea and got trapped ashore in some tidal event.
The Craspedacusta sowerbyi of our freshwater lakes is a true freshwater critter. It has nematocysts and can sting its prey, but they are too tiny to penetrate human skin enough to sting.
The Palau critters (I hear tell) have communal algae growing in 'em that provide all their needed nourishment and have lost their sting 'cause they don't need it.
Rick

OK, thanks for clearing that up for me, Rick... :)

chuck41:
Today I saw a jellyfish. Right here in Arkansas and it was swimming around apparently quite happily. I had heard other people say they had heard that there were jellyfish in the lake, but after several years diving here I had never seen one until now.

They are pretty cool little dudes arn't they !! :D
My friend Mike 'Sealskin98' took this pic of me taking a pick of a little freshwater Jelly at Lake Broken Bow Oklahoma a couple of weeks ago. They look just like the guys in the ocean. They have all the moves and colors ect. but just really small.
Do you guys see any Darters up there?

Timeliner:
My friend Mike 'Sealskin98' took this pic of me taking a pick of a little freshwater Jelly at Lake Broken Bow Oklahoma a couple of weeks ago. They look just like the guys in the ocean. They have all the moves and colors ect. but just really small.

Yep, that's Rick's beast. I have a jar of these in my lab. Never seen a live one, though. They bloom in late summer in Texas lakes.

"Stingless" jellies tend to not have trailing tentacles. They'll either have seaweed in their bodies, blow out copious goo to trap plankton, or combine both strategies.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom