Lake Travis Current Temps

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GeekDiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Austin area swampers I'm look for some info and hope you can help

I have to be in Austin this weekend for a class. I need to make some dives in the 60+ range and was wondering what the current temps are and what depth the thermos are at. It been a while since I've been and after checking my log I see that I didn't pay much attention to the temps or thermos.

Also if anyone has a link to a map for Barstows or better yet directions to help refresh my memory on how to get there would help as well. I havn't been there since last year.

Thanks, Geek

PS Yea, I know guys arn't s'posed to ask for directions and as a geek I should be able to find a map online all by myself.

Ok, I couldn't wait and stopped being so lazy and found the info

Temps

http://www.arlut.utexas.edu/omg/ltts_profplot.ppm.gif

Directions:
http://www.windypointpark.com/info/index.html

From Mopac, take RM 2222 to 620. Take a left at 620 and go about 1 mile. Make a right turn at a stop light for Commanche Trail. This is the road leading to the Oasis Restaurant and there is a sign which gives the distance to Bob Wentz/Windy Point park as well. Drive a few miles until you get to a sign (on the right side) which points to the entrance to Windy Point.
Windy Point Park, 14421 Ridgetop Terrace. Follow the gravel paved driveway that goes to the right of the small store. There are carts which you can use to carry your gear from your car to the diving area.

Now I'll I need to do is understand what the "MOPAC" is and how to get there from Houston and I should be all set.

is ~63F...dress accordingly.

Also, for the last several weeks, there has been a layer of consistently *decent* vis in the 75-95' range. Might as well go where you can see something...

On the Barstow's side at ~50', keep your eyes peeled for a particular buffalo carp about the size of a, well, er, buffalo...you'll think you're coming upon a siltout from an OW class, but it's just the carp snuffling around in the muck.

FYI, MoPac Hwy is also called Loop 1.

Cyklon

Thanks that's the info I was looking for (thermo @75, temp 63 degs). Looks like I'll need to get my hood and gloves out. This is for a class so I don't think the instr will stay deep for long.

I'll keep an eye out for the fish! sounds cool.

if you take 290 to Austin and then go up 183 to 620, heck they may even have the construction finished up that far now. Most Austinites will tell you mopac to rr2222, but 183 to 620 is the way to go....course I haven't been an Austinite since the late 80s....back when 183 was a 4lane road.....and Jollyville was a little town all in itself....LOL.... Have fun, mi amigo.

tony

Dove the dam area last weekend. 82 degrees all the way to 60 foot. Thermo kicked in @65 ft and got cold quick. I didn't wear a wet suit and was fine for 3 dives. Have fun. :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom