Lake Washington PV-2 Harpoon Video

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lamont

Contributor
Reaction score
[video=vimeo;44643790]http://vimeo.com/44643790[/video]

video from yesterdays dive on the harpoon in lake washington.

more info on this wreck is here:

PV-2 Harpoon Wreck - Dive Site Review

this is my second attempt at video'ing this wreck. first time it was my first time out with the new housing, only had a single video light, AF kept trolling me, etc. this time, i think i got better results. =) although there's still the cockpit and engines of the plane to shoot which we didn't even get to, and i'd like to get some higher quality stills as well...

---------- Post Merged at 12:56 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 08:52 AM ----------

A brief note about the technical details of this dive... This dive is 14 minutes of non-stop gavin trigger time from the kayak launch that we put in at (2,500 feet if you believe gavins do 180 fpm and a good >10Ah of burn on the shortbody batteries when they recharge after the dive). We do it as a shore dive both because I don't have access to a boat, and because its actually better for the wreck to not be dropping shot balls or anchors around the site beating it up. Like boydski's site mentions, the top of the plane got ripped off, quite possibly by a dive boat. The run out there gently slopes down for a little less than 10 minutes to around 80-90 feet then steeply drops down a wall and runs out for another ~4 mins or so at 130 feet. Max depth is 140-ish on the wreck, then you have to run back at depth 5 minutes to get back to your 70 foot stop again.

The training really pays off on dives like this. Every minute of bottom time is either another minute of deco or another minute that you can't film. We had basically zero futzing around on this dive, so I got 20 minutes of solid video time on the wreck. I could spend most of the dive worrying about framing shots and trying not to jiggle and trying to shoot different angles and have my brain focused on what the video edit was going to look like, while I was shooting it. My bandwidth wasn't absorbed with the technical details of the dive during the shooting, and all the practicing really starts to pay off at this point. We had zero drama on the wreck, which means I don't have all kinds of epic heroic stories about being wrapped in line and lost at 135 feet -- but I do have lots of nice video I brought back to share.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom