Land based Komodo

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kwpw

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi all.
We are planning a trip to Komodo in June. My wife doesn't like liveaboards so I am wondering about land based
resorts. any thoughts on who has the best diving and accommodations. I read the scuba junkies reviews and was wondering if any of the others are any good? did anyone ever stay at Komodo resort?Thanks
Paul

Angel island resort is the other one that you might want to look at.

Similar to Komodo island resort but a bit further away from the np. Both are going to be isolated away from town.

Any of those options won't get you to the southern Komodo sites because of distance though. Liveaboards are really the only option if you want to dive German flag and manta alley.

Yup LOB is the best way to dive Komodo.
The south is truly spectacular! My favorite sites are there.
My trip in Nov I did a budget LOB out of LBJ that was a southern route. Then I followed it up with my second stay a scuba junkies. SJ will dive padar area which is really great but they do not regularly go south. My first trip they did did but because I lobbied heavily to go. But according to my sources they have yet to return all the way to Nusa Kode.

And an update for all you that need a/c it was apparently in the works to be installed at SJ.

Hi,

i am running a dive shop and liveaboard here in Komodo. From my personal point of view (not business point of view) a LOB cruise is definitely the best option to explore the waters of the Komodo National Park.
WHY? Well, pretty simple:

Day boats (also ours) all leave the harbor at the same time, usually around 7:15am. In June/July you can expect up to 15x day boats leaving into the park sharing a hand full of dive sites in-between them. This leads to rather crowded dive sites.
Sure, diving is still great but still as Komodo gets more and more famous, more and more people will come. In high season 2017 we expect around 20x day boats in the park each day.
Therefore the best and easiest option is to jump on a mid-range liveaboard. Why not a super cheap one? Because you will be "stuck" on the vessel for at least a few nights and days. means you would like to enjoy a good cabin, decent food and well trained dive guides!
Here is the link to our vessel, have a look if you like :wink:
Komodo Liveaboard | Komodo Dive Center

Private bathroom, AC, delicious meals and 4x dives a day!

Cheers,

Moritz Drabusenigg
GM Komodo Dive Center
Food (6 of 15).jpg Food (9 of 15).jpg Komodo Dive Center liveaboard (1008 of 13).jpg Komodo Dive Center liveaboard (1010 of 13).jpg Komodo Dive Center liveaboard (1011 of 13).jpg Komodo liveaboard Mastro Aldo-2.jpg Komodo liveaboard Mastro Aldo-7.jpg

Do your homework first eg. tripadvisor.
Some of the boats are well known for bed bugs!!!!

It's so sad. After sharing northern Komodo dive sites with a half of dozen boats (20 boats OMG), I realized that many of the dive sites are just too crowded for me. In particular, it's difficult for many day boats operators to separate experienced and not so experienced divers.

We are not Liveaboard folks. We stayed at Angel Island December 2015. It is a truly a beautiful place. The boat ride to the dive sites was about an hour to hour and a half, but we did dive all the sites in Northern Komodo, like Batu Balong etc. Also did a trip to Rinca Island and saw the dragons. I would say this or the Komodo Resort further in the park would be the only land based options for us.

Back
Top Bottom