Land Rover...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have a Discovery Series 2 TD5 GS7 2001.

We sent all the duff 4.6's over to you guys and kept the diesels and reliable 3.8's for ourselves :laugh:

It does get used off road and well as hauling the RIB, rebreathers and cylinders in comfort.
65K miles and very reliable

http://www.btinternet.com/~madmole/LandRover.html

Beats my mates Heap Grand Breakdown which is on its 4th engine in 40K miles cos some stupid designer put the air intake just where the bow wave goes when you go deeper than 1ft of water.

madmole:
I have a Discovery Series 2 TD5 GS7 2001.

We sent all the duff 4.6's over to you guys and kept the diesels and reliable 3.8's for ourselves :laugh:

It does get used off road and well as hauling the RIB, rebreathers and cylinders in comfort.
65K miles and very reliable

http://www.btinternet.com/~madmole/LandRover.html

Beats my mates Heap Grand Breakdown which is on its 4th engine in 40K miles cos some stupid designer put the air intake just where the bow wave goes when you go deeper than 1ft of water.

Yeah, I would prefer one of those diesels myself... I have seen some interesting websites in natural gas conversions on the petrols over there also.

I had a 93 LWB Range Rover, (no wonder Buick sold that design...) it was great when it ran... Heck it even looked good when it was broken down!!

Gas is crazy with such a heavy vehicle but I never felt as safe (feels safer than a military Hummer to me...)

The newer electronics make repair more replacement of components than anything else, I like the simplicity and efficiency of the older engines and diesels...

Do you know anyone that has messed around with LP gas?

Sounds like a simple but very effective mod...

Jeff

rmediver2002:
Any Land Rover owners on this board?

Man... I have seen glimpses of the light at the end of the tunnel but it never seems to get any closer...

http://www.roversunlimited.com/siii88D.html

Don't mind the drool...

Yep,

Own a (from new) 2 year-old Discovery, TD5, 2.5 litre turbo injected diesel, all leather, seats seven comfortably, 18-inch alloys, CD-stacker system, all the toys and carries a shed-load of my twin-sets and kit up and down the country to various dives! It's also as comfy as hell to sleep in as all the chairs (they're not merely 'seats') are electric and moveable into virtually any position.

Room, practicality, can carry mates/kit or both and can quite happliy cruise at 100mph - the pick-up's very good (NOT sluggish!) and you sit about 5 feet above anyone else on the road - so if there is a delay or accident, you can just look out and see what the deal is without getting out of the car! They're built like tanks, so you're in a safe vehicle too. Happy days! :D

My advice to anyone thinking of buying one, and can afford it (new or second hand) is: stop thinking about it and buy one; regardless of the age as long as it's in good nick!

Safe driving and diving all.

Bren.

Bren Tierney:
Yep,

Own a (from new) 2 year-old Discovery, TD5, 2.5 litre turbo injected diesel, all leather, seats seven comfortably, 18-inch alloys, CD-stacker system, all the toys and carries a shed-load of my twin-sets and kit up and down the country to various dives! It's also as comfy as hell to sleep in as all the chairs (they're not merely 'seats') are electric and moveable into virtually any position.
<Snip>

Sorry to have to tell you this Bren but Discos are a well known "Ladies Car", far too many creature comforts :wink:

Get youself something proper!

My advice to anyone thinking of buying one, and can afford it (new or second hand) is: stop thinking about it and buy one; regardless of the age as long as it's in good nick!

Absolutly, as long as it's a defender :irazz:

Cheers,
Rob.
V8 110 CSW

RobK:
Sorry to have to tell you this Bren but Discos are a well known "Ladies Car", far too many creature comforts :wink:

Get youself something proper!

Absolutly, as long as it's a defender :irazz:

Cheers,
Rob.
V8 110 CSW

LOL Rob :D ........AND......it's an AUTOMATIC !! (the house fell silent...) :D

Bren Tierney:
LOL Rob :D ........AND......it's an AUTOMATIC !! (the house fell silent...) :D

An AUTOMATIC!

Oh.....My.....God :icoeek:

May I suggest trading it in for a pink Vitara :yippie17:

turnerjd:
Word on the street last time I enquired was that defender would be replaced by a new vehicle in 2007. I would suggest that Rover won't do the necessary to the Defender for only 2 years sales in the states...... you might have to wait untill 2007 for the new vehicle

Jon T

The British military were not too happy with the proposed cosmetic changes by Land Rover in the Defender and the military wants to keep it as is. I forgot where I read it, some auto enthusiast webpage, with an artist's rendition of the proposed new Defender. It looked ugly! It looked too revolutionary, too preppy, too bling bling. I like the retro and utilitarian look of the current Defenders.

73 series III 88 diesel wagon LHD, and a 97 Range Rover 4.6 HSE. Gotta luv the ROVERS.

Folks complain about them. But they obviously aren't ROVERPHILES.

Gill:
The British military were not too happy with the proposed cosmetic changes by Land Rover in the Defender and the military wants to keep it as is. I forgot where I read it, some auto enthusiast webpage, with an artist's rendition of the proposed new Defender. It looked ugly! It looked too revolutionary, too preppy, too bling bling. I like the retro and utilitarian look of the current Defenders.

Too bad they won't run. The US version is still a POS.

Q> Why do the Brits drink warm beer?

A> Cuz', they have Lucas refrigerators!

I really liked Toyota's version of the Land Rover, the Land Cruiser the best... you couldn't kill them at all. They are still all over the islands.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom