Landscape & UW Photography ??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bill - yes, that's exactly what I would like to capture. How many shots did you take before capturing this beautiful photo? Did you use any circular filter and/or ND grad filter to expose the sky? Also, did you use any strobes?

I agree and thank you for the sound advice, Calvin.

]

If so, then you will need a big dome (8 inch at least), lots and lots of practice and really good luck.

Bill
I have not had much success, but Bill has it right. In addition, careful choice of setting and conditions (very shallow, calm, and clear below, overcast above) and perhaps a split diopter and photoshop skills.

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/un...7608-needed-someone-experienced-aqualens.html

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/un...w-get-half-topside-half-underwater-shots.html

Search around a bit (use a Google site-specific search here and at Wetpixel). I recall more discussion about split diopters (guys were having them custom made, since they were no longer available off-the-rack) but my quick search didn't turn up much. Search Mike Veitch's posts here.

No photoshop needed. ....

Bill
I was reacting to the comment that she wanted a picture like Herman's with a the land. in the top half. Getting a good over/under shot with sponges and fishes well exposed and color balanced will be more or a challenge than what has been shown so far. I probably should have said a lot of luck, a lot of skill (photo and diving), a lot of patience and a big dome. .. or photoshop. :wink:

Thank you so much, Vladimir. Since I now know the technical name of this type of photography, it is much easier to do a search online. The links you provided is so helpful as well. I found the split field filter, camerafilters.com/pages/split_field.aspx, but I don't believe these filters have the ND on the upper half rather just "close up".

No photoshop needed. What you are trying to do is called an over/under or a split shot. Something like this?

5250309434_0c1f388480_z.jpg

If so, then you will need a big dome (8 inch at least), lots and lots of practice and really good luck.

Bill

Plus you don't need to dive for photos like that, just lots of practice and of course plenty of money to pay for the housing, plus dome to accommodate your wide angle lens :)

Nothing special, no split filters for example. That is just one quick shot that I happened to have available quickly. With a big dome and practice (and practice) you can get these shots. Getting something interesting in the foreground is one of the difficult things you need to figure out.

Bill

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom