Lane's Cove Harrasment 6-17

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

when i was in HS we has a class that was kinda like a intro to law, kinda a basic survey for Sr.s before going off to colledge, and counded as a social studies credit..
anyway
monday morning there would be a handfull of questions from classmates..
all starting with i have a friend. who.. and ending with can the cops do that...
his answer ws always the same...
can they well they did so yes.. was it right.. no will they get away with it.. most likley

I don't know why the local government of Rockport just doesn't make a public parking area at some of the more popular dive sites such as Lanes cove. They could easily have the area paved or non paved, and higher some local hack to charge about maybe 5- 10 bucks for people to park there. If people knew that they could park there leagaly and not get hassled, I'd be more then willing to pay a small fee.

Of course that would make way too much sense for government type people.

Abuse (either verbal or semi-physical) by cops is a very sore spot for me.... I really don't give a flying ---- what reasons a cop might have for being completely the biggest ------- I've ever seen; it's never called for unless the person demonstrates violence. Definitely 80% of the police I've seen in action have abused their position in some way (100mph on Rt. 128; verbal abuse; general stupid cockiness).

I have a genuine respect for the hand full of cops that I've run across in my life who've been respectful and fair. But they are few and far between....

Awhile back I realized that any group of people that have to hide behind collective intimidation (unions) in order to have their way are just a bunch of stupid mongoloids and I've stopped feeling bad when I hear about a motorist snapping on the police and punching the cop out or worse....

Love note to the MA local/state police: Stop being a bunch of "I'm tougher than you cuz I have a gun" pr--s.. Don't abuse the position and maybe people wouldn't make pig jokes or sneer when they see the flag flying at half-mast at the local station house.

mobster75:
Abuse (either verbal or semi-physical) by cops is a very sore spot for me.... I really don't give a flying ---- what reasons a cop might have for being completely the biggest ------- I've ever seen; it's never called for unless the person demonstrates violence. Definitely 80% of the police I've seen in action have abused their position in some way (100mph on Rt. 128; verbal abuse; general stupid cockiness).

I have a genuine respect for the hand full of cops that I've run across in my life who've been respectful and fair. But they are few and far between....

Awhile back I realized that any group of people that have to hide behind collective intimidation (unions) in order to have their way are just a bunch of stupid mongoloids and I've stopped feeling bad when I hear about a motorist snapping on the police and punching the cop out or worse....

Love note to the MA local/state police: Stop being a bunch of "I'm tougher than you cuz I have a gun" pr--s.. Don't abuse the position and maybe people wouldn't make pig jokes or sneer when they see the flag flying at half-mast at the local station house.

Lighten Up, Francis!

ScubaNorth:
Lighten Up, Francis!

ROTFLMHAO! Damn, now I have to clean coffee spit off the monitor.

mobster75:

Right on chief.....you can pick out a cop in a second even when they are not in uniform. Most everyone hates cops because the majority of them act like d***heads. I have huge respect that they have to get into harms way, but the attitude when not engaged in this is horrible.

Anyway - I can imagine most all visits stem from someone calling to complain. It would take a unified campaign among divers to change our welcome in Cape Ann. If we organized to call stores and restaurants to explain why will be taking our business elsewhere, etc., etc., etc. and can demonstrate a financial impact then something would change.

--Matt

matt_unique:
Right on chief.....you can pick out a cop in a second even when they are not in uniform.

--Matt

I was at one time many many lives ago a law enforcement officer. They even trusted me with a sidearm and promoted me to Patrol Supervisor. I am so far from that stereotype that I have to produce written proof that I was a cop. About 98% of the law enforcement employees out there ruin it for those of us who have driven home our share of drunks and walked right past infractions of dumb laws. Let me tell you the punks that act like hard guys are very hated even by their peers. Treat a cop with respect and he will do the same if he doesn't, call his boss. The cops didn't make the laws they just enforce them. In a little town like this they are under a microscope every minute and the pressure shows. Looking in the coolers no way, but the tickets pay them and rock on it's still cheaper than parking in Boston. If they tow you put a claim into your insurance for every nic and scratch on the car, your insurance company will make them pay. You think cops are evil you should meet the average claims adjuster.

We have always been very careful where we park while diving around Gloucester, because you know these local Barney Fife wannabes will be out in force looking to make some money to fill the town coffers. It is likely they are acting on the direction of higher authority in the local governments to go out and fleece the tourist divers, easy pickings. I can never understand why in the world that tourist communities harass visitors over parking fines. Sure, they make a few bucks, but in the long term, the bad publicity and bad feelings generated by the petty tickets can't be good for the local economy. If you want to see some change, complain to the local business associations that their police departments are hurting their business, which is about the only real way to perhaps effect a change in behavior.

I was going to write a response the post, er rant, by Mr. Mobster75, but I don't think it would have any affect on his opinion...you know what they say about opinions. In any event, we should probably keep such rants to ourselves unless we are logged on to a cop hater-related website and keep posts closer to diving related topics on the SB.

If a cop is an a-hole, give him the criticism he deserves, but don't castigate the entire law enforcement community over one bad cop.

LobstaMan

Back
Top Bottom