Language Barriers with Buddies or Dive Operators?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Oooeeefff Russians. I've met a lot of Russians on vacations and usually find them pleasant enough but for some reason the "nouveau riche" crowd seem to go to Egypt in large numbers. Every single time I've encountered Russian divers in Egypt they have been loud, even by American standards, heavy drinkers and under water they can easily turn into suicidal human torpedoes that try to find the bottom no matter how deep it is. I'd worry a bit about diving with one of those nouveau riche Russian divers (especially young men) if I couldn't talk to them before the dive, but for the rest, I've never had trouble.

I know that's a big generalization that's probably unfair to a lot of Russian divers but it does say something when you book a week in a dive camp and they spontaneously send you back an email saying, "you're in luck, there are no Russians coming while you're here." LOL

R..

:) My Russian didn't drink much, had the most expensive gear, didn't talk much either and was traveling with his non-diving wife. Poor woman, stuck on Sipadan with a bunch of divers in a grubby room, and no English. She seemed to have a lot of books with her. In any event, my Russian had about 30 dives but they were each and every one at the very best locations. Can't remember them exactly, but almost all of them were on my bucket list, and probably most others too! We had a night dive together and another two tanks the following day. I approached my DM, and without having to say a word, the DM said, yes, you shouldn't be diving with him. I'll pair him up with someone else and you'll dive with me. My week improved immensely. Really, my Russian wasn't that bad a diver for the number of dives he had, so must have had good instruction along the way . . .but he just wasn't ready to be my buddy (says I). hee hee

That probably wasn't his wife :)

I'm glad for you to hear that he was normal. I think I missed something but why was it that you were having trouble buddying with him? Was it just the language barrier?

R..

No, it wasn't the language barrier. We just dive at completely different levels and it was my holiday too and I wanted to enjoy my diving as much as possible. If I were diving elsewhere, probably wouldn't have been a big deal. He was paired up with someone more suited to him. We'd originally been paired up before anyone saw either of us dive. I believe he was much happier with his new partner. I know, I know, gonna get slammed.

Reasonably sure the woman was his wife . . . looked like his wife.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom