Lanyards for knife (plus a bit about mounting)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FredT:
If the BC has a cumberbun you need a new BC, or at least a new harness system! You should have a belt as part of the BC assembly. Mountig the sheath on the belt and locking it in a comfortable place should be a no-brainer. Some newer "trendy" BCS now forgo the belt. This limits your choices a lot. I've seen knives on weight belts, but weight belts shift position so you don't ALWAYS know where to reach to grab the blade when you need it. The BC harness should be solid enough in it's placement it doesn't shift in any dirction throughout the dive. However you carry it the reach for the blade should be muscle memory, with no thought required beyond the "I need a blade now" one before it instantly appears in your hand ready for use.

FT

Aaah! I see what you mean. The BCD I usually use has a gut strap - but I wasn't really thinking of that as a belt, hence my confusion.

However, I'm not sure whether this would be suitable for my situation - firstly, IIRC, the strap is completely covered by the jacket when it is zipped up and secondly, as it is a rental jacket, it's going to be a pain to attach and reattach the knife each time.

So far, while watching tv, I've strapped it to my left forearm (on the underside) and it seems that I can probably live with that. It doesn't seem to get in the way and is very easy to reach. I can't really find anywhere else to attach it, if I rule out my calf and the bcd. Perhaps the right thigh might work, though my concern would be the weight belt getting caught up if it required a one-handed release.

I guess I'll have to start walking round the house with a knife strapped on various locations. I hope the neighbours don't see me!

Thanks again, guys

spog

spog:
So far, while watching tv, I've strapped it to my left forearm (on the underside) and it seems that I can probably live with that.
spog

Until your right arm is tangled and you only have your left arm to retrieve the knife.......... Seriously, you should find a place where you can have easy access to it with either hand.

Juan

What's wrong with the calf? You said it seemed far away from your hands, but there's a lot of joints between your hands and your calf to take care of that. You might want to at least try that in the water, you can always change your mind - not like it's permanent.

freedive:
Until your right arm is tangled and you only have your left arm to retrieve the knife.......... Seriously, you should find a place where you can have easy access to it with either hand.

Juan

aaah! so I should have one on each arm - like Wolverine from the X-Men!

I'm wondering what to do about my knives and shears. Currently I keep a small knife in my BC cummerbund which has a lanyard on it but it's not clipped or attached to BC.

I have OMT shears which are in a sheath designed to go around calf, but this really doesn't work for me. No matter how I strap it on, it never stays in place.

I have attached a thigh pocket to my neoprene drysuit and want to put my shears in there. HOwever I wonder how to secure it in there - I see people with bungee cords but it seems to be that in an entanglement situation, a bungee cord is the last thing I want to add. How can I put my shears in the pocket and but make sure they don't fall out? Some kind of vecro solution would be ideal methinks. I would attach a lanyard too to keep it on my wrist if I was actually using them.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom