Lap Swimming?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OK, last post for now.

What's this "deep water workout", and should I really be afraid of all those older, larger people? ;-)

Deep water workout (DWW) is a form of jazzercise that's done to "disco-ified" music from the 60's, as far as I can tell. The draw of DWW is a combination of "zero impact" plus the buoyancy of water. DWW is a godsend for older folks, larger folks, and anyone who risks injury doing normal fitness activities like jazzercise or running. DWW is especially excellent for late-term pregnant ladies. Most classes are about 45 minutes long, with warmup, intense activity, and cooldown with stretch. The classes I'm in are populated by some really nice folks. At 50, I am among the youngest.

So why am I, a 50 year old male technical diver, doing DWW? Simply put - flexibility. My build is not a flexible one, and I have never been very flexible. Even the usual stretching stuff doesn't really do much for me. However, DWW does work. With water supporting you, you can really stretch to do the motions without fear of falling down or pulling something. Many of the DWW exercises mimic the motions we make as divers (various leg flexes, arm reaches, etc.). Thanks to the resistance of water, you can work as hard (or not) as you want to.

So - to sum it all up, I would recommend swimming lengths 1-3 times a week (whatever you can manage in your schedule). If your goal is fitness AND weight loss, you also need to adjust your diet to something healthy. Finally, I recommend trying out a DWW class if one is available - both to help flexibility, but also just to vary the workout.

Cheers and best wishes,

-R

Under water hockey is pretty common here in the "Commonwealth"....we excluded our American friends a couple hundred years ago (something called War of Independence?), and they've been trying to get back in ever since LOL :) !!!

Here in SA we only play underwater rugby when we've had a "few" adult beverages and there are enough ex-pat Aussies/Kiwis to play with ;-) !

I saw in your info that you are in Coral Springs. I just joined a masters team probably at the pool you're talking about. A masters team is an adult team with all kinds of abilities. Believe me, as a competitive swimmer of 20 years, I know swimming by yourself sucks.

I would highly recommend talking to Nathalie, the swim coach there, and she can help you out with anything you need to know. I'd be happy to help out too. I've coached and done lessons for adults tons of times. Send me a PM and maybe we can meet up and do laps and then go diving!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom