Large and In Charge

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hey everyone

Of all the pictures I've seen of scuba divers, I have yet to see a diver who is overweight.

If you check out the avatar on the right, you will see a 320 lb diving Grizzly. A little underweight for most Bears, but definitely a bit husky for most humans. You may now officially say that you have seen a photo of a 300+ lb diver, and yes, everything that has already been stated about being a "larger" diver with regards to health is true. Of course you'll never see me in any of the manufacturer's equipment catalogs, but that's only because they cannot afford me! :rofl3:

Take care,
George

I have yet to see a diver who is overweight.
You need to go to a few more dive sites.:wink:

My pant size is about a 40/32; am I too tubby for scuba diving (equipment fit or anything), or is there no such size limits?

No, you are not to tubby. Just make sure your exposure protection (wet or drysuit) fits properly and take your training seriously.

As for a BC, fit is everyting. Body types vary as much as the gear selection. Poke around here and read about how different divers chose their final setups.

Have fun and remember - never, ever, ask another diver if your wetsuit makes your butt look too big, they will all answer, "Well yes. Yes it does":wink:

I helped a fella don his equipment once, and he had an insane amount of weight in his BC pockets. Yes, IN the BC. Now that I think about it, I'm not sure how he intended to jetison all that lead, but suffice to say that he had 80lbs of weight in his diving rig. Maybe I've remembered that incorrectly, but it was at least 40 lbs of lead, without a shadow of a doubt.

He was a big man. He is also an instructor. If he can do it, anyone can.

Yeah, Fit can be a &*^$%, when you're my size. The biggest problem is sinking, but on the bright side I don't need air in my BC to float. I have lost weight now but I was over 350 lbs. when I started diving. I do have to tailor most of my gear however.

I helped a fella don his equipment once, and he had an insane amount of weight in his BC pockets. Yes, IN the BC. Now that I think about it, I'm not sure how he intended to jetison all that lead, but suffice to say that he had 80lbs of weight in his diving rig. Maybe I've remembered that incorrectly, but it was at least 40 lbs of lead, without a shadow of a doubt.

He was a big man. He is also an instructor. If he can do it, anyone can.

That guy was probably like me... They don't make weight belts big enough for us and you have to start putting weight in all sorts of um interesting places...:)

I'm not the biggest person in the world, but I could definitely do to lose a few (or more) pounds. My pant size is about a 40/32; am I too tubby for scuba diving (equipment fit or anything), or is there no such size limits?

It's just advertising. I've seen divers that were twice your size that are incredibly graceful in the water, with thousands of dives, and trim, grace and air consumption that I couldn't match on my best day.

This is the same reason the "Meet sexy singles in your area" TV commercial shows the hot 21 year old college student, and not the scary middle-aged psycho-stalker with four kids and five different last names. They want to sell you something.

Terry

My buddies and I al all well over 200lbs (one is 250lbs). We are all pretty comfortable in the water, but a few issues to be aware of.

- Big boys often have problems with weight belts, specifically with keeping them on and not sliding down their butt. If this is you, consider a weight harness (DUI or similar).
- The amount of lead a big boy carries can be considerable in 7M suits - 30-40lbs in some cases. Way too much to handle in a weight integrated BC. Too much to lift with a tank. Often too much for the pockets to safely hold. Again, consider the harness and spreading it out.
- Get a w/s that fits right. If you are short and stocky you will find many XXL and XXXL's that are built for tall and big will end up with extra neoprene at the angles/wrist, causing floaty feet, etc.... Take your time and find a good fit, some of the manufactures have XXX short sizes that will fit better.

Size does matter...the size of your tanks, fins and suit BC all have to fit you well. Having said that...does not matter if your 110 soaking wet or 310 dry a few divers I dive with are around 260 ish. I have to say they are slow to get ready but fantastic in the water...SAC rates buoyancy and they do not get as cold as fast as I do...so a bonus. Just relax and get the best training and the right fitting gear suited for you. We all look good on land...and like crap after a dive..snots and all.
But I do make this drysuit look good...:wink:. Taken a few weeks ago. Water was a nice cool 42. testing a few regs for a buddy...

Attachments

• 4312_77896173537_730818537_1644576_5217428_n.jpg
    4312_77896173537_730818537_1644576_5217428_n.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 87
Don't let advertizing photo's deceive you. Scuba advertizing, like most advertizing, has very little to do with reality. Let me reassure you that unlike most sports (leisure activities) the size/weight distribution in Scuba fully mirrors the general public. Weight isn't an issue since when diving we all weigh the same -zero.

Unless you're overweight to the point that it's impairing your health, especially heart health, there's no reason that you can't dive. One bonus fringe benefit will be getting the load off your feet.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom