Large and In Charge

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hey everyone

Of all the pictures I've seen of scuba divers, I have yet to see a diver who is overweight. Is there a legitimate reason for this (like a weight limit for skydiving), or is it just because they want the socially accepted attractive people on their advertisements?

I'm not the biggest person in the world, but I could definitely do to lose a few (or more) pounds. My pant size is about a 40/32; am I too tubby for scuba diving (equipment fit or anything), or is there no such size limits?

Once you stop laughing, I'd appreciate any responses. Thanks!

In the chance that it's just the media being themselves, I'm off to the buddy finder to see how many other divers are in my area (the land of 10,000 lakes...there has to be some...right?)

Thanks again!
Go to an actual dive site: it's far form the case that everyone is in good shape, I'm almost tempted to say the majority could probably stand to lose a little bit.

My waste size has often been just under 40, it's not a big deal: only XL wetsuit and L BCD, nowhere near the largest sizes (and that doesn't even include people who get them made custom).

That said, there are a few things that make diving while overweight more problematic:
1. Especially if a bit older, you are likely at an increased risk of heart attack, etc. which can be catastrophic underwater
2. You need more lead to drop down
3. You're less streamlined
4. You use more air
5. You are at a somewhat increased risk of decompression illness.

Other than the first (which if you think is a problem, see a doctor) these are generally minor things in recreational diving, but I think diving is motivating me to lose weight (among other reasons) because it would be more enjoyable if I could eliminate all these problems.

To those who believe in the "fat but fit" concept, even if you are fit enough to keep up aerobically, hoist your extra girth up a ladder, etc., the extra weight is taking a slow and steady toll on your skeleton. When you hit your 50s or 60s you may become one of the many Americans (mostly Americans, although the rest of the world is embracing obesity at an alarming rate too) who will need hips and knees replaced, or have chronic back problems, or constant arthritic pain. There is usually a trade-off, and storing fat for the next famine will probably cost you somehow.

Hey everyone

Of all the pictures I've seen of scuba divers, I have yet to see a diver who is overweight. Is there a legitimate reason for this (like a weight limit for skydiving), or is it just because they want the socially accepted attractive people on their advertisements?

I'm not the biggest person in the world, but I could definitely do to lose a few (or more) pounds. My pant size is about a 40/32; am I too tubby for scuba diving (equipment fit or anything), or is there no such size limits?

Once you stop laughing, I'd appreciate any responses. Thanks!

In the chance that it's just the media being themselves, I'm off to the buddy finder to see how many other divers are in my area (the land of 10,000 lakes...there has to be some...right?)

Thanks again!

Ignore the media as many have suggested. They are just trying to sell something.

My experience is that most of the divers I have seen I would consider 'over weight'. I have seen divers whole I believe may be obese.

I joke that diving is the great equalizer. When you are in the water, you are in theory, neutral. So whether you are 6' and 185# of 5'11" and 250#, you should both be neutral.

The difference is on land. In the two divers I mention above, if they were wearing the exact same set up, the heavier diver is going to need more lead. They are going to have to carry more.

I would say that size is not as important as a question as your fitness level.

You're OW class should, in theory, make you do a swim test and swim a few hundred meter in the pool.

Do you think that you could go put on your winter parka right now with some thermal underwear and hat and stuff, get yourself good and warm, the hump 60-70#'s 100 yards with out feeling like you are going to have a heart attack and more importantly then dive when you after the 100 yards?

I have witnessed one accident and a couple of other divers in distress. All of them had one thing in common, they were all overweight. I'm not saying that only overweight divers have accidents.

Take an assessment of yourself and ask your doctor about your fitness to dive. A heart attack on the surface is bad, but catastrophic underwater.

As for you local diver question, I'm sure there are a fair amount of divers up there. You'll find some through your Local Dive Shop, or clubs, or here on SCUBABoard.

DUI, as mentioned somewhere above, is a manufacture of some high end exposure protection. The local joke is DUI stands for Dry Until Immersed.

If you are concerned about expsosure protection that fits, a lot of the manfactures of drysuits seem to offer a custom option and there are wetsuit manufactures that custom make suits as well.

Good luck!

To the OP:

See, my perspective has been quite the opposite. I'm shocked by how many recreational divers are way out of shape or overweight :p When I was in Roatan this one guy was doing the advanced course with me, and he was literally sucking air 2.5-3x faster than I. His deep dive got ended less than halfway through, and he only made it to about 90ft where the rest of us spent the max time at 120ft. Luckily, they brought a DM to buddy him with so that they didn't have to keep ending my dives early. The guy had to be a good 200lbs overweight without an ounce of athleticism in him -- no exaggeration.

On the flip side, there was this other guy that was rather overweight doing tec training -- and he was a killer diver. He was diving doubles every day in a dry suit. He was more in the "large but fit" category though. I think he shaved a few pounds waiting around in the dry suit in the Honduras heat for the boat :p No, really, he did.

2) Most certifying agencies require at least the minimal ability to both tread water for a period of time and swim a number of laps in the pool without the assistance of fins or flotation devices.

You may also be required to carry tanks over a distance for a shore dive or be able to swim to or from a dive site from a boat. Are you doing a triathlon? No, but only you can decide if diving is right for you.

i can float and tread and swim forever. being chubby is an advantage in this instance. thin folks with dense bones are the ones who sink like rocks, while i can float with head, hands, and feet out of the water.

*and*, i can hump my doubles to friedman sink while wearing a drysuit (a long long way! :) ). the only time i need help is climbing up a boat ladder in doubles, but lots of folks need help getting up in a single, so i don't feel really bad about it.

no, not everyone is a model. yes, there are lots of fat folks diving and enjoying it and doing it well. sure, there are lots of fat folks who need to eat better & exercise more. but don't put off diving until that wonderful day when you're in shape!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom