Large coral reef discovered in Phang Nga

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

adamtodd

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I found this article on Thaivisa.com (in the Krabi Forum)
It looks pretty interesting, and a good place to avoid the crowd for the next few years. I reckon Nitrox would be a must. It'd be interesting to see who heads out there.

Here it is:

Large coral reef discovered in Phang Nga

PHANG NGA: -- The recent discovery of a deep sea coral reef in the southern province of Phang Nga opens another site for diving lovers.

Situated some 25 metres beneath the ocean some five sea miles off the coast of Takua Pa district, ‘Kong Hin E Tan’, where the reefs are located, covers about 300 rai (120 acres) and is rich in natural coral life, incluing submassive coral, encrusted coral, anemone-like coral and other sea creatures.

According to an expert at the Phuket Marine Biological Centre (PMBC), the coral reef at Kong Hin E Tan is as beautiful as those at Mu Ko Similan National Park in the same province.

"In my opinion, the coral reef here is as nice as those in the Similan Islands because it covers a large area and you can dive here for all year round,” said Sakchai Padungrotvit, the coral reef discoverer from the Marine Biological Centre.

To make this sea area richer and more colourful, a number of clown fish, raised in captivity, were released by the centre.

"If we follow the right diving principles, I think we can use the coral reef sustainably; for example, no touching or stepping at corals, controlling the number of divers at each diving site, or preventing coral demolition," said Paitoon Panchaiyaphum, chief of Marine and Coastal Resource Conservation Center Region 5 Office in Phuket.

The newly large deep-sea coral reef at Kong Hin E Tan has proved the marine resources on Thailand’s Andaman coastline were still rich and attractive.

This is from some time ago already. Interesting enough it is the second coral reef discovered in the area the last few years.

AFAIK there are no trips there yet. In high season Similans has more to offer I would guess, and in low season there are no divers in that area.
I also doubt the reef is very attractive yet. In the article they only mention corals, not fish, and only mention fish because they released clown fish. Does that mean there are no fish at the moment?

I actually went diving there, releasing western clown fish with the Conservation Center. Wasn't half bad, but I'd still much prefer the Similans, Tachai, Richelieu - or Boonsung, my favourite. We're not taking it into our program...

Back
Top Bottom