Large Pony Tanks in Shallow Water ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I use a 30cf on every dive now regardless of buddy or solo. I find it's not that bad back mounted and don't notice it in the water. all of my solo dives are 50ft or less and I also practice with it on a regular basis at about 20-30ft. Even though it is back mounted to the side of my primary I don't notice a difference in trim and don't use any weights. Go for it.

Another idea is to use the large tank as a hybrid: part backgas and part pony. So you could use half of it as an extension of the main tank and leave the rest as contingency. It would give you 20cu ft extra to dive with. You would need to attach a SPG on a hose to do this.

Adam

Another idea is to use the large tank as a hybrid: part backgas and part pony. So you could use half of it as an extension of the main tank and leave the rest as contingency. It would give you 20cu ft extra to dive with. You would need to attach a SPG on a hose to do this.

Adam

?? you mean just breath out of it and switch to the main tank half way through?? dont most people discourage using pony's to extend bottom time

?? you mean just breath out of it and switch to the main tank half way through?? dont most people discourage using pony's to extend bottom time

Heck, "Most people" discourage solo diving :wink:

You need to evaluate how and why you need a 2nd tank, whether is a "pony", "stage", "independant double", or "manifolded double" configuration. Identify why you need the redundant or extra gas first. That will help you decide what configuration is best for you.

I have an Al30 I sling on occasion for:

1. Deep dives: Redundant airsource. It is not factored into my "dive plan".
2. Long dives: As a dive-extender. It is factored into my dive plan. It becomes a "poor man's" independant doubles rig :wink:

When I talk about "extending dives", I'm VERY careful with how I plan to use the Al30... it is used for "bonus" time in the shallows, near the exit, on a dive with lots of neat things to see, when I want to stay down beyond the 40 min - 1 hour bottom time I typically have with my Al80....

But.... On the vast majority of my solo dives, in the very benign environment I dive in, at depths <50 feet, the surface is my redundancy.

Best wishes.

I don't carry a pony in water I can easily freedive, it's just one more piece of crap to carry. There is all the air in the world 15-30' away, makes a 40cuft pony look small.

Bob
----------------------------------
I may be old, but I’m not dead yet.

Last edited:
Of course it's overkill... but if it works for you why buy another tank that also has to be hydro'ed and VIP'ed? I used to dive with a 13 cu ft pony, but as I started diving deeper I went to a 19 cu ft. I've considered a 40 if I return to my really deep diving again.

That's the case with "normal" pony bottles, where the pony is dedicated to emergency bailout, but in your case you're carrying at least 20 cu feet excess, so you must as well use it. The other 20 cu ft you follow that rule and save it only for emergency.

Adam

Of course it's overkill... but if it works for you why buy another tank that also has to be hydro'ed and VIP'ed? I used to dive with a 13 cu ft pony, but as I started diving deeper I went to a 19 cu ft. I've considered a 40 if I return to my really deep diving again.

Can I ask you how you attach your pony tank?

Can I ask you how you attach your pony tank?

the pony was used as a deco bottle by they guy who gave it to me so he all ready had it perfectly set up for side slinging with metal brackets and everything. it feels to heavy to back mount without having to buy an expensive mount. so im just going to use it as is for now.

EDIT: woops..... just noticed that question wasent for me.

Last edited:
the pony was used as a deco bottle by they guy who gave it to me so he all ready had it perfectly set up for side slinging with metal brackets and everything. it feels to heavy to back mount without having to buy an expensive mount. so im just going to use it as is for now.

EDIT: woops..... just noticed that question wasent for me.

Well, at least now your post makes more sense. You are correct, slinging a 40 makes much more sense than trying to back mount it.

You can use the 40 in shallow water, just be careful that it does not dangle and damage coral if you get close to the bottom. Obviously, you don't need a 40 for 15-30' dives and you may find it cumbersome, but then again you may grow into it over time.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom