Largest BC's made?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

One more vote for a BP/W here. A plate plus however much webbing you need to get a good fit... plus it's infinitely adjustable.... just not while you're wearing it :)

I'm not as heavy as you, but I'm 6'3" and I am fairly big in the upper body. I bought a Zeagle Ranger right after my OW cert. It is totally adjustable, and I even think I can expand it more if I need to....although I'm hoping that won't be necessary!! I concur with some of the others here...check out Zeagle.

Stating the obvious here but you dont need a massive LIFT bc just because you're big.

The BC has to have the ability to lift the weight of gas in the tank at the start of the dive. It doesnt matter how big or how much lead the diver carries *provided* correct weighting.

85lbs is a ludicrous number even for multi tank stage diving yet alone single tank.

BigFame, if you do your class through Northwest Sports Divers, ask them about using a backplate setup for class. I played "victim" for a rescue class earlier this year, and there was a BIG guy (6'8" maybe, over 300 I'd guess) using a backplate and wing. I asked him how he ended up in it (since they aren't common at the shop giving that class) and he said, "It was the only thing that FIT me!"

thank you both, I had been considering a custom wetsuit from liguidfit.com at 400. I will consider your suggestions. Can someone show me a pic of a backplate and wings setup, I don't fully understand what it looks like when in use I don't think. I see wings on websites for sale but am not sure how it works in water.

Can someone show me a pic of a backplate and wings setup, I don't fully understand what it looks like when in use I don't think. I see wings on websites for sale but am not sure how it works in water.
https://www.deepseasupply.com/

I dive an XL Zeagle Ranger. I'm 6'4 - 275#. I used it at 325# a couple years ago by moving the side panel mountings out one position - and there was still one more. A Ranger is totally modular so you can add larger shoulders or other components as needed. However I don't dive in a wetsuit.

thank you both, I had been considering a custom wetsuit from liguidfit.com at 400. I will consider your suggestions. Can someone show me a pic of a backplate and wings setup, I don't fully understand what it looks like when in use I don't think. I see wings on websites for sale but am not sure how it works in water.

Here is a picture of one in use
P7010073-01asm.jpg

thanks steve and Brewski, the pics is exactly what I needed. I have seen the plate, and a pic of the wing separately before but didn't really understand how it all worked together. It appears to have a stri of webbing that goes between your legs, is that common? Also how does one weight themselves when using that sort of set up? I don't know if I like the idea of a belt of weights, I have this image of it slipping off and shooting to the bottom.

p.s. TSandM, I have been reading and enjoying your dive journal. The image of you bobbing at the surface like a cork is funny. :)

thanks steve and Brewski, the pics is exactly what I needed. I have seen the plate, and a pic of the wing separately before but didn't really understand how it all worked together. It appears to have a stri of webbing that goes between your legs, is that common? Also how does one weight themselves when using that sort of set up? I don't know if I like the idea of a belt of weights, I have this image of it slipping off and shooting to the bottom.

p.s. TSandM, I have been reading and enjoying your dive journal. The image of you bobbing at the surface like a cork is funny. :)
Typically people use a weight belt. you can see in the photo the diver is wearing bullet weights on a belt. Dive rite makes weight pockets for theirs. which I have been using, but as of this weekend I've decided to go back to the belt.

why did you make that decision?

I feel like a kid "but why? but why? but why? but why?"

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom