Las Vegas area Scuba Divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for the invite, I'll do my best to be at Saddle Cove on Sunday, although I can't be 100% sure.

BTW, have you or anyone else heard that Saddle Cove may become inaccessible any day now because of the new water intake construction project? This seems to be the chatter that I'm hearing.

If Saddle Cove is shut down in the future, it might make for a fun project to explore other parts of the lake in search of some decent shore diving.

It really is amazing how many Las Vegans are certified and yet don't dive regularly. I just recently lost my two regular dive buddies who moved away from town and I can't tell you how many certified divers (including one instructor) I have run into who are not at all interested in diving either at the Lake or in SoCal. It's the Caribbean or nothing for them, it seems.

i totally understand!

as far as a possible closure, i've heard the rumor, but we'll have to wait and see. there is over 500 miles of shoreline, so other than a little longer drive, we should still be diving. boat access shouldn't be an issue...

if you can make it, great!

--c

Is there any water left in the lake?

BTW, have you or anyone else heard that Saddle Cove may become inaccessible any day now because of the new water intake construction project? This seems to be the chatter that I'm hearing.

This was just posted on the Scubatoys forum:

It is true that Saddle Cove will be closing for construction of the 3rd intake by SNWA. The official closure date of the area to public use has not been set. This information will be sent out when we know what date it is. Since this is such a large project with so many components, things will start happening gradually and will probably start getting busy sometime in May. Although the project is not scheduled to be completed until 2012, that does not mean the area has to be closed to the public during that entire time, but probably most of it. We will work with SNWA to open the area as soon as possible, but the specific dates have not been determined yet.

Thank you,

Heidie
Boulder City, Nevada 89005

we might have wind on sunday...

weather at/near lake mead

i'll still come out just in case, but if the wind is so strong that makes the water ridiculously choppy, we should probably postpone this one... will post again as the day approaches...

--c

Hi there! Former Arizonan (still have a house there, though) that used to go to Vegas 4-5 times a year. Always threw in a dive or 2 during those trips. Even got to meet some Vegas area divers. Good luck with getting a forum. You have my vote for one. And I still head to Vegas at least once a year, so I'll be active on it.

Got all my work done so I'm a go for Sunday at Saddle Cove (weather permitting).

i'll still be there with grill in hand. i have a propane grill that does nicely. there is a point where the wind is so strong that it won't generate enough heat to cook the burgers... that would be a bummer, but the good thing is that it is usually not as windy BELOW the water line.

with some luck, we should be able to get out!

see many, i hope, tomorrow!

look for the toyota FJ cruiser... that's me!

--c

Back
Top Bottom