LASIK Update

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I had LASIK done in January. I don't know how I got by before, dealing with the glasses. As long as it is done by a reputable source, it's pretty much a slam dunk!

Have fun smashing your old glasses/contacts!

Just to add the other choice into the mix ....
I opted for PRK instead of Lasik although I knew that it would be more painful - And it WAS! But before you make a decision you should take all factors into consideration which means - ask a lot of questions! I was told initially that Lasik would not be an option because my cornea was too thin but I could do PRK. At my last visit before surgery the doctor said he had reevaluated and I could have Lasik. So I did some research and asked some questions. If I had had Lasik and my vision regressed (which it will still do) I would not have been able to have correction again because I did not have enough cornea to handle corrections. Therefore if the original surgery was not 100% successful or my vision regressed to where I needed glasses again there would not have been options for correction. So I did the PRK which can be done over and over. Also I opted for mono-vision which is correction for distance in one eye and correction for close in the other. Together you get excellant vision. I was in alot of pain for two weeks but still glad I went this route. Threw away my tri-focals! but had to get an adjustment just a year later. It was just a tweaking of one eye so not bad at all. I stayed out of the water for a month and never have problems! Just a couple notes for anyone thinking about either of these procedures (Lasik or PRK) - 1) if you are younger and they offer a higher price for lifetime enhancements - take it! Your eyes will continue to regress at the same rate they did when you wore glasses so you will save money this way. (of course make sure your doctor is not likely to go out of business!) and 2) be careful when choosing mono-vision. I like it but Motor Vehicles does not recognize it and when you go to have the vision restriction removed from your license you won't be able to read their little chart! Talk to your doctor about it and get a medical approval form from him/her. That's all I have to say - whew!

Lloyd:
I would urge caution with the strenght of the flap adherance. I have seen flaps disloged years later from trauma such as air bags, fights, etc. The flap never adhers totally. At the clinic which I teach at, we see the patients with unsuccessful LASIK procedures from other Drs.
Lloyd

I was going to say the same thing, I'm not an opthalmologist, but i've some experience with this. While the flap 'adheres' I don't think it usually completly heals. There is usually some weakness. I'm not saying don't dive, but do be careful.

Babar

I'm not a candidate for a Lasik, I'd need a PRK. I'm just waiting for now. My old boss used to say that when you go to an opthalmology convention and no ones wearing glasses, That's when you have it done.

Babar

I just had Lasik done last week (Thursday) and have had no problems at all. Not even pain - although I felt like I had sand in my eyes for the rest of the afternoon. My doctor advised 10 days for swimming/diving. I'm down to 20/20 the day after. Follow-up appointment at 1 month & they say it usually gets better. Love it! I can see the alarm clock in the morning :)

I've been thinking about Lasik or PRK for a while now. However, I wear reading glasses when I wear contacts. Without my contacts, my close up vision is perfect. With contacts and reading glasses, my close up vision is not perfect. I have assumed (and I know that is dangerous) that I would still have to wear reading glasses after any Lasik type surgery. This would mean that my close up vision would get worse after the Lasik and that is just not an option until my close up vision totally goes away. By the way, I am nearsighted and use -2.5 contacts. Also, monovision is not an option for me. I am a pilot and monovision correction is strictly prohibited by the FAA. No depth perception is just one of the problems with monovision.

Dennis,

I had lasik 4 years ago when I turned 40. I was previously nearsighted.

You should think about what you mean by close up vision and how long you will need to be looking at something close.

Small print 8/10pt in good office light. I can read this, but if I'm reading a lot of it, I'll put on reading glasses to reduce eyestrain.

Small print on a menu in a dark restaurant. Need glasses or wife.

Car or airplane instruments daylight. No problem since the viewing distance is a little more than arms length.

lighted instruments at night. Still no problem.

Computer monitor at arms length no glasses needed, but I have some very weak reading glasses to reduce strain for daily work.

Small parts really close up (12in), like model trains or fixing something with jewel's screwdrivers. I need reading glasses.

So, to be specific, I need glasses for low light, close up vision.

DennisW:
I've been thinking about Lasik or PRK for a while now. However, I wear reading glasses when I wear contacts. Without my contacts, my close up vision is perfect. With contacts and reading glasses, my close up vision is not perfect. I have assumed (and I know that is dangerous) that I would still have to wear reading glasses after any Lasik type surgery. This would mean that my close up vision would get worse after the Lasik and that is just not an option until my close up vision totally goes away.

We're of the same mind, Dennis. I too was considering Lasik until my doctor explained that I'd be losing my close (what he calls) "Super-Vision." Nobody ever talks about it, but it's important to know that this procedure corrects your eyes for distance and that you'll likely lose your close vision and need reading glasses post-surgery (unless you get the monovision). My Super-Vision is too dear to me to give up -- I think I'd be really unhappy without it, so I'll probably never have Lasik done.

My close up vision is very important to me. It isn't always easy to get a magnifying glass or magnifying shop light into an area I need to see. When I need it, I need it.

So, I'm with CHUD on this one. Android, small parts that I work with when working on my 1967 Mustang or mainenance on our airplane are a real pain when I am wearing contacts and reading glasses. I just don't see as well with the reading glasses as I do when I remove my contacts and just use my own vision close up. At work, I also work on small connectors and components when I put together systems for my research. I usually have to make my own cables and do my own soldering. We do not have a technician, so I get to do my own. So, far. It just hasn't been worth it, maybe when I'm 60 and my close up vision is gone.

FWIW I had lasik done 5 1/2 years ago. Before the surgery my vision with about 20/2000 (no lie, without glasses or contacts I had to hold my watch about 8 inches away from my eyes to be able to read it and I had to stand about 3 feet from the eye chart to be able to make out the big E on top). I was -9.0 diopters in one eye and - 8.5 in the other. I also had over 2 degrees of astigmatism in both eyes, and like most serverely nearsighted people my pupils get very large in low light which further degrades vision in low light situations.

The doctors gave me an option to go all the way to 20/20 in each eye or even a little better knowing that I would definitely require reading glasses at a later point or to slightly undercorrect one eye with the hopes of not having to use reading glasses down the road but knowing that I would probably need glasses to drive at night. I chose the 2nd option.

Well my end result at 5 1/2 years is that my combined vision with both eyes is 20/20. My left eye is better at reading etc, my right eye on it's own is very near 20/20. And my astigmastism now runs about 1 degree in both eyes. I do have glasses with a very slight perscription in them for night driving. Although I could safely drive without them if need be.

All in all my lasik experience was nothing short of life changing.

DennisW:
My close up vision is very important to me. It isn't always easy to get a magnifying glass or magnifying shop light into an area I need to see. When I need it, I need it.

So, I'm with CHUD on this one. Android, small parts that I work with when working on my 1967 Mustang or mainenance on our airplane are a real pain when I am wearing contacts and reading glasses. I just don't see as well with the reading glasses as I do when I remove my contacts and just use my own vision close up. At work, I also work on small connectors and components when I put together systems for my research. I usually have to make my own cables and do my own soldering. We do not have a technician, so I get to do my own. So, far. It just hasn't been worth it, maybe when I'm 60 and my close up vision is gone.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom