Last Class...Problems

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That was a pretty condescending post.

I've never seen Mike teach a class, but what he is suggesting can and does happen with instructors that want to teach these skills. I know of two specifically that graduate their OW students with excellent trim and darn good bouyancy control-while they perform their skills (including mask R&R). Here's a link to their site: www.scubaguys.com

Look around the class pictures and see the postion of their students in the water.

While you are visiting Mike's class, you can visit the scubaguys also.

learn-scuba once bubbled...
You know Mike --

One of these days I'm going to have to pay to come watch you teach a class. You must be the world's best instructor to keep churning out perfect students who do it right every time and right from word one.

I'm truly impressed. You are the man. I suck.

ScubaCollin once bubbled...
Sounds like mikes class is more of a boot camp then diving class.
I guess that depends on your point of view.

If you're looking for quality education that doesn't cut corners, then Mike's class, and the Scubaguys.com, sounds pretty good.

If you're looking for a cheap c-card and don't care how well you dive, then those classes might sound a little demanding.

It all depends on what you want to get out of life. Quality isn't cheap. Quality isn't quick either.

A cheap class? Im paying 400 dollars for my cetification at ACUC its not a cheap class.

Were just not expected to perform everything PERFECT in our first OW dive, its human nature to make mistakes, and im sure even the most professional divers make them.

Just because you learn different does NOT mean the course youre taking is cheap.

Just because you learn different does NOT mean the course youre taking is cheap.

But if you don't learn the skills you need to perform in the water, that means you're grossly overpaying, doesn't it?

You pay for training. It galls me to see instructors say things like "students should be overweighted" or "Mike is full of crap - he can't do that."

They don't, He's not, and he does. Just because there are crappy instructors out there doesn't mean their teaching is BETTER!!!!???!

You pay for instruction. You can either learn, properly, or you can get your C-Card in a nice 'easy' dive mill. Hey - what do I care - it's just your life you're putting at risk right? Well actually no - it's also my visibility you're screwing up, or encouraging others to screw up, by never mentioning trim or teaching proper buoyancy control.

Where in any of my posts did i say we weren't learning the skills we need?

Were learning boyancy control.

All i was saying is that learn sounds like a more dedicated instructor than mike, no where in my posts did i say that the way he taugh was better than mikes.

Ive only been to one of my classes so far, and im rather confident im my instructors. Both are highly reccomended.

The course isn't easy either we had to do 19 laps the first day and 20 minutes of tredding water. We spend 6 weeks learning snorkeling and fin skills another 5 learning how to use the bcds and such.

and anothe 2 doing open water dives. I dont think my course is a give away

ScubaCollin once bubbled...
Were learning boyancy control.

Do you know what true bouyancy control is? Do your instructors know what it is beyond fin pivots?

My class is not a boot camp the intructors are very nice people and give you as much time as you need to finish the task, they dont want to rush you.

And we have just touched on boyancy control like learning a bit of trim how to use your lungs fin techniques. Were spending two weeks on it

Back
Top Bottom