Last Flower Gardens trip of season

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was with Guba on the trip he talked about previously, it was my first trip down there. If you can find a way to beat the seasickness, it is a great trip and I highly recommend it. I went to Bonaire last year and leading up to it all I ever heard was the health of the reefs there which weren't bad but there was a lot of bleaching and dead coral. I recall seeing two spots of bleaching in the Flower Gardens. We had a rare trip from what I've been told in that we didn't see anything big, but the macro life was fantastic, the typical reef fishes were abundant and the corals were gorgeous. Huge heads of brain and star coral that were vibrant and healthy with the awesome amount of coverage that Guba spoke of. Now that I've done the summer trip, I think I need to start the crap shoot of trying to make it down for a Feb or March trip and try to catch the hammerheads.

yea, I've wanted to go to the flower gardens since I first found out about it. And all these live-aboards I keep reading about in dive mags sound fantastic too! But, alas... and yes Guba I did the 12 hrs prior dose just like you said.

I know that Oct trips can be bumpy (if they don't get cancelled), but they have real nice garbage bags equipped with fancy red draw strings that can hook around your ears so you always have an outlet for any sickness.

Seriously, if anyone from DFW area or points between DFW and Freeport are thinking of going on the trip and want to carpool let me know.

tom

I also wanted to go for the 27th, but since they are taking researchers during that last Oct. Weekend, the last trip is scheduled for Nov 10th. I'm from Houston thus but am interested in going on that last trip Nov 10th.

Who is the dive operator for these trips and how much do they cost? Im interested.

FlingCharters, Inc out of Freeport, Texas. Trips typically run around $500 for the "two day", seven dive, trips and about $570 for the "three day", eleven dive trip. Nitrox is $75 above that. Trip costs include all meals and air for the duration, but soft drinks and beer is extra. They are a quality service, and they are THE experts about how to dive the FG. Hit their website for more info.
Fling Charters

anyone dove the FG during November? Is it still recommended, I may need a 5mm suit though. How is visibility and the sea during that time? Thanks.

SurfStomper, I share your seasickness problem. The patch does help, but sometimes it's just going to happen no matter what! That's why I am afraid to go on a FG trip, as seasickness is a MISERABLE type of sick- the thought of being captive out there for several days is a skeery one. That's one of the reasons we keep going back to Cozumel, instead- still close to Texas, but if you get sick on a boat, you are maybe 30 minutes from your pier.

right on Foo. Been to any other international destinations that have a similar approach to diving as Coz? Please share if you have

The Bahamas is comparable. Oh, it's not drift diving, but the overall attitude seems to be about the same. My friend and I went there last year to do a little lionfish "research", and I thoroughly enjoyed the diving there. Prices were about in line with Coz, too...except the flight(s) cost just a bit more. However, we made up for it in cheaper lodging costs, so overall it was nearly the same price.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom